What's new

Here I go!

O.K. To prepare for my first str8 shave tonight, I've been smoking my Ben Wade (McBarren's Plumcake mixed with Dunhill Nightcap) and consumed a couple ounces of Macallan's Cask Strength. I never shave at night, but if this is preshave prep, I could get used to it.

Anyway, can't wait any longer. Dovo Bismarck came yesterday. Honed by Lynn Abrams to take equipment failure out of the equation. It's 8PM EST. I'm not sceered, more like cautiously anticipatory.

I'm getting ready to do something my grandfather and great-grandfather did every day -- about the only thing that, in today's environment, I can do almost exactly as they did it (though I doubt they had Rooneys or Trumpers by their sinks). I wish they were here to teach me. But Joel's great tutorial series is a good substitute.

I pray they will guide my hands. I plan to jump back on this thread in an hour or two and let y'all know what happened. If nothing is posted by 10:30 PM, please send the ambulance to 408 Millstone Rd....

Last edited:
Call off the medics.

My wife came in to watch. Funny, she never came in to watch me shave with a DE...

Did two passes, one WTG and one every which way that seemed comfortable and suited to my tyro technique. My usual DE shave is WTGX2, XTG, then ATG. At the end of the two straight passes, the results seemed about the same as at the end of my two WTG DE passes. And the tactile sensation of that blade "singing" against the whiskers was intoxicating (wait -- maybe that was the Macallan's).

Small (1 cm) slice in the left earlobe. Didn't feel it, surprised to see it when I finished. Glad I didn't get a squared-off blade. One smaller nick over left upper lip -- didn't feel that one, either, but I knew I had drawn the blade lengthwise and expected something to come of it. Neither bled, but I could see the small slices.

So, my goal is always BBS, and I did my usual last two passes (XTG, ATG) with the Futur -- didn't want to push my luck (yes, I know Joel feels this is a no-no). Shaved over the aforementioned nicks without drama. Surprised to find that my first two passes with the straight were actually more effective in beard reduction than with the DE. The Futur went more smoothly over my face than usual.

Worst part of the shave (as always) was the cold splash. Then the test -- the alum. Felt about as usual, a little stinging here and there.

Final result: if not the best shave of my life, I cannot recall a better one. BBS. After the alum, my cheeks and neck felt like they'd been shellacked (sp?) -- not just smooth, but glass-smooth. My wife says I look like I just had a facelift.

I have next week off. A week of mornings to get my technique down (I can tell that left face and jaw is going to take some practice). If anyone out there is thinking of taking the plunge, I say go for it.

Thanks, Gramps.

Last edited:
Seems to have gone well; congratulations!
A lot (maybe most) guys go through a streak of getting in their own way trying to figure out the best approach, and if they don't figure out what that approach is, they at least figure out that it is almost a unique thing for each of us.
The cool thing is that it isn't NEARLY as complicated as it seems, as it appears you have discovered! I've shaved with a straight razor for a long time, but I STILL don't want my wife standing there! You're a brave (and patient) man!

Plumcake and Nightcap!?!? Hmmmm. That might be good. I used to like Plumcake mixed with C&D Yale Mixture! :w00t:

Congrats! Yes, women dig it. Keep her out until your more comfy. Forget BBS for a while too. Come on man, its okay to be a guy! Toss the coldsplash too! BRRRR.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks for the support. 20 hours later, I'm just beginning to feel a little beard. Definitely my closest shave ever!

I'm neither brave nor patient. The unstated purpose of my wife being there was simply because I wasn't sure I'd be able to staunch my jugular and call 911 at the same time.

I'll keep the coldsplash, I think. Other than the straight adventure (and maybe the reason I'm going in that direction), DE shaving was getting a little predictable and routine. Pursuit of the BBS was exciting, once I got there day after day it seemed not as compelling. The coldsplash and alum, however, always gets my immediate attention!

Happy shaving.

Top Bottom