What's new

Help with newly acquired razor..

Hello,

I just received my recent purchased Straight Razor. I am a bit apprehensive about stropping it and trying it out do to a few visible things going on with the edge. I’m completely new to this so maybe I’m overreacting a bit. There appears to be a couple of tiny nicks on the edge of the blade. I don’t want to put this on a strop if it’s going to damage my strop. I took some pics, and hopefully you can see what I’m talking about. Should I go ahead and strop it? Or do I need to have it honed? I don’t own a hone yet so it may be kind of a lost cause. Thanks.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your razor should be honed again before stropping. I would not strop it like that.

Thanks for the info. I was kind of thinking the same thing but I’m very new. I don’t own a hone so I guess I would have to send it off for work and as I only paid $20 for it may not be worth it. I’m a bit bummed, I thought it was going to just need stropped and then ready to go. Another thought is maybe getting a hone since I do like my SR experiences so far. I understand honing and stropping has a huge learning curve. How much is a good beginner hone?

Where are you located? You might find someone nearby that can assist.
As for cheap beginner hone, King has a combo 1k / 6K. The 1K can be used to remove the ding and set a clean bevel, and the 6K would give you an 2-micron edge. After that you could use CrOx green paste (5 to 10$ on amazon) on a strop and tune your edge to 1/2 micron. I have not tried film, but you can find plenty of info on that in the honing section of the site. It is said to be even a cheaper option.

Definitely should have that one honed. Look up Doc226, he’s a member here. His edges are better than any I’ve ever tried.

Best wishes,

Matt

Where are you located? You might find someone nearby that can assist.
As for cheap beginner hone, King has a combo 1k / 6K. The 1K can be used to remove the ding and set a clean bevel, and the 6K would give you an 2-micron edge. After that you could use CrOx green paste (5 to 10$ on amazon) on a strop and tune your edge to 1/2 micron. I have not tried film, but you can find plenty of info on that in the honing section of the site. It is said to be even a cheaper option.

I’m located in the Columbus, Ohio area. Thanks for the info on the honing, I appreciate it.

Definitely should have that one honed. Look up Doc226, he’s a member here. His edges are better than any I’ve ever tried.

Best wishes,

Matt

Thanks, appreciate the information.

Top Bottom