What's new

Golden Age of Gillettes

I'd have to agree with @luvmysuper that Gillette's production and selection was awesome in the 1950s. To define a "Golden Age", I'd probably tweak that forward a bit to include the early to mid '60s to sweep in Gillette's stainless blades. Though Gillette wasn't first to the market with stainless blades, the blade that became known as "The Spoiler" is an undeniable classic.

This is probably at least partly nostalgia on my part, as I have fond memories of sitting in front of the old black and white with my dad and watching Gillette Cavalcade of Sports, listening to Don Dunphy call the fights, and watching all of the cool ads for Gillette shaving products. And, of course, seeing many of those products in the medicine cabinet.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'd have to agree with @luvmysuper that Gillette's production and selection was awesome in the 1950s. To define a "Golden Age", I'd probably tweak that forward a bit to include the early to mid '60s to sweep in Gillette's stainless blades. Though Gillette wasn't first to the market with stainless blades, the blade that became known as "The Spoiler" is an undeniable classic.

This is probably at least partly nostalgia on my part, as I have fond memories of sitting in front of the old black and white with my dad and watching Gillette Cavalcade of Sports, listening to Don Dunphy call the fights, and watching all of the cool ads for Gillette shaving products. And, of course, seeing many of those products in the medicine cabinet.
Gillette Spoilers are the bomb!

Consider this: Compare the fit and finish of a 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech with a post-war Super Speed (even the 1938 Senator that preceded it). The nickel on the Ranger is much brighter; the head had a better polish before plating. The razor was obviously a premium product. The post war Super Speed was plated in a news brighter nickel, with a lack of polish on the head, just mass produced.

Top Bottom