What's new

Gillette New - Shiny!

I recently took a small gamble on the bay. Seller had a Gillette New posted. In the couple small pictures they had up the razor looked shiny but a little blurry. Sent an email regarding the top plate condition and the seller said there were a few scratches and provided a less-than-stellar picture. I bid anyway. It arrived yesterday and it was shiny out of the box! I gave it a bath in Scrubbing Bubbles this morning to get a few bits if crud off and, viola, I have a shiny new razor to add to my small but growing collection. I've looked and looked and can't find a bit of brassing anywhere. The gold finish appears to be 100% intact. Almost all of the lacquer coating seems to be intact as well. There are some superficial scratches in the lacquer coating on the head but they won't affect the shave. The teeth are straight and there are no cracks in the handle. I am so excited!

From looking around I am guessing this razor if from the 1930s? Is that right? Any way to date it definitively? In any case, for 70 years old this is a fantastic looking razor. :w00t:

That's a fine looking razor in great shape to.

The scratches will not effect the shave at all and yes, this razor is from the 30's.

Enjoy!!!

Nice snag Peter, looks like it's in very good condition.
I have an old and liked it so much I had to get a new and new improved.
Open combs are fast becoming my favorite type of DE razor.

The handles on the NEWs aren't prone to splits as the New Improved and Old Types are, so that's not a worry. The NEW is a great open comb razor, which I find to be more forgiving than its older bretheren. And that one is in very nice condition. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom