What's new

French Press & coffee suggestions

Looking into a french press for the hubby. You know...because all the DE razor stuff I just bought just wasn't enough gift. LOL

So...any recommendations on what I should go with? Not looking to spend a ton. Haven't ever used a French Press but I'm sick of paying $2/day for convenience store coffee to satisfy his drinking habit. He just hates brewing at home.

Looking into the AeroPress. I know, not really a French press...but looks interesting.

Also considered the mug by Planetary Designs: http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Des...d=1356150095&sr=8-2&keywords=French+press+mug as we snooze button to the last minute and run out the door. Never time to really prepare anything in the mornings at home. We're lazy and worn out. FT school + FT work=gross.

Also...he hates that we live nowhere near a Dunkin' Donuts. Closest is almost 2 hours away. He's from up north where you find one (literally) on every corner. I was at a red light in RI and could see four Dunkin' Donuts in my view. Ridiculous. Any coffee that even compares to Dunkin' Donuts blend that is not the bagged Dunkin' Donuts crap you get at the grocery store? (Tried it, he didn't like it)

Looking into a french press for the hubby. You know...because all the DE razor stuff I just bought just wasn't enough gift. LOL

So...any recommendations on what I should go with? Not looking to spend a ton. Haven't ever used a French Press but I'm sick of paying $2/day for convenience store coffee to satisfy his drinking habit. He just hates brewing at home.

Looking into the AeroPress. I know, not really a French press...but looks interesting.

Also considered the mug by Planetary Designs: http://www.amazon.com/Planetary-Desi...ench+press+mug as we snooze button to the last minute and run out the door. Never time to really prepare anything in the mornings at home. We're lazy and worn out. FT school + FT work=gross.

Also...he hates that we live nowhere near a Dunkin' Donuts. Closest is almost 2 hours away. He's from up north where you find one (literally) on every corner. I was at a red light in RI and could see four Dunkin' Donuts in my view. Ridiculous. Any coffee that even compares to Dunkin' Donuts blend that is not the bagged Dunkin' Donuts crap you get at the grocery store? (Tried it, he didn't like it)

Any medium roast arabica coffee should be similar. A solution my friend came up with to help reconcile his last minute wake up and his love of the french press was to get a digital timer that you plug directly into the outlet (they're everywhere since it's christmas BTW) which he plugged his electric kettle into. Just leave the kettle in the on position and at the preset time it will kick on. About the time you wake up it's squealing, you dump the hot water into your french press already preloaded with measured coffee...by the time you brush your teeth and get your shoes on it's good to go.

Can't really recommend a press as I have never used one.

But as far as coffee? I have tried a ton of the different brands. I like it strong but flavorful. I have found that 8 O'clock Columbian in whole bean form is just right for me.

I grind it myself at home with a manual grinder that my wife and son got me off of Amazon. Fresh ground and fresh brewed has opened up a whole new appreciation for my morning cup.

Also, I learned some time ago to add a pinch of salt to the grounds prior to brewing. I use sea/kosher salt for this and it does absolute wonders for bringing out the subtle flavors of the coffee. Smooths it right out taking some bitterness out while leaving behind a pureness that I can't get in store bought coffee.

If you have a Williams Sonoma close to you, I know that they usually have presses and grinders in house for your perusal.

Good luck with it.

Oops, posted in the wrong place. Going to post in The Cafe. Can't find a delete button. Sorry, folks.

When you post in the wrong forum use the report icon to ask a moderator to move your post rather than start a new one.

The report icon is that black triangle with the exclamation point in it in the lower left of every post.

For a press I would recommend Bodum as they are well made and easily found just about everywhere

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/prodlist/262/

Last edited:
The Aeropress is really good, with results that are a little different from what you get with a French press.

Since quality seems to be the issue for your husband, I suggest getting a grinder and using whole. That alone will make the biggest difference, no matter how ou brew it.

Let me say first that I am fussy about coffee the way some people here have 'some extra shaving stuff'
(I buy green beans from Sweet Maria's and roast them once or twice a week).
I have used an AeroPress for several years and I will say that it produces a far far far superior beverage than a french press.
It is easier to use and easier to clean. One cup at a time, but very quick. I will go as far as saying it outperforms my Technivorm drip maker.
The result is somewhere between espresso and coffee, but extracts far more flavor from the beans than any other option.
Combined with a decent burr grinder, even grocery store beans make a great beverage with an AeroPress.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I liked the French Press so much, my coffee maker got put where the bad appliances go .. (under the corner base cabinet with the deep fryer & mini food processor) . It does take some extra fussing, if you want to dump some grinds into a filter, put water in & press go it won't be your "cup of tea". My first was a glass bodum, broke it within a month. I now have a stainless thermal one http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-Poli...356220187&sr=8-17&keywords=bodum+french+press, of which most are all sold out for Christmas ..

Takes more cleaning also, but I find the coffee results superior to the drip grind type.

Bodum are the best as far as press goes and with the course grind that such a press likes, you have a lot of choice with course ground coffee, whereas with espresso, or fine ground you are more limited.
For that I would use a stainless steel Bialetti stove top pot. I thought I'd stick a photo of them up here, after all this is my 400 post!

$IMG_2615.JPG
Bialetti espresso pot and Bodum French Press! My caffeine machines!
(Note: the *** of the Bialetti got burned badly when I neglected it one morning!)

If you want to get a French press, Bodum makes decent presses and the parts are all replaceable (I've broken a few carafes). French press coffee is quick and easy. Personally, I've stopped using our French press. Each morning, we drink caffelatte. To do this simply and quickly, microwave milk in your mug to desired temperature. Fill it 1/2 full. Brew the coffee (espresso grind) in a stovetop "moka". Bialetti is a very widely distributed brand.

Top Bottom