What's new

Found my Grandpa's straight razor.

My mom called me the other night and said she had found a razor I might want to have. This razor belonged to my Grandfather and I remember him standing in the kitchen shaving with it. I would like to clean it up and try to use it, however, I do not have any idea where to start or what to do. I have searched the threads and have not found anything that makes any sense to a newbie such as myself. The razor appears to be in pretty good shape besides some cosmetic issues. Being that this is sort of a family heirloom I am terrified I might mess something up so I am asking for some help. I am new to wetshaving and have never used a straight razor, but, would like to give it a try and what better way than my Grandpas old razor.

TIA

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't blame you for not wanting to accidently mess up your grandfather's straight razor, Eric. Probably the best thing to do is to send it out to get restored, or at least that is what I would suggest.

By the way, she's a real beauty. :thumbup1:

From your pictures it appears the razor is in excellent condition. Just send it out to be honed properly and pick up a strop and you are set.

If you feel the razor needs some restoration you have two choices. Do it yourself or send it to someone who is known for doing good restorations.
http://ruprazor.com/store/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=36
Click the link above and email him about restoring the razor. I hear he does quite good work.

If you do it yourself I suggest you start by going here and reading Bill Ellis's blog. I also strongly recommend getting his DVD on razor restoration and the safety jigg he sells. I picked up one and restored an old C-Mon, it's a big help in holding the blade.

Good luck, shaving with my Granddaddies razor would be a real thrill.

That is a very nice razor and I am sure it is very special to you.
It looks to me to be in a condition whereby it can shave your face for the rest of your life if you treat it carefully and learn how to use it and take care of it.

The first thing to know is that the sharp edge is very delicate and the way you have displayed it for photography is sufficient to damage the edge on a shave ready razor. It is a very strong but at the same time a very delicate instrument.

I suggest you look up on this forum a member who for money, will polish, clean and sharpen the razor and ensure it is in shave ready condition.

While this is going on you should read up all you can about how to use and take care of a straight razor.

In the interim, I suggest you keep it closed and put it in a safe "dry" place until you wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in a Jiffy bag before you post it off for a clean up. Water on the blade left overnight can rust the blade very badly .

The thing to remember is that the razor when it has been sharpened has an edge that is even more delicate than a razor blade. It must be treated with respect at all times and only used for shaving. Playing with the razors edge in any way can ruin it. You must think of it as being a lot more delicate than a throwaway razor blade.

Just so you know, it has some value but much more importantly not only was it from your Grandad but it will likely shave better than any modern factory razor, whatever the price.

It is a very special and quite a rare thing. Enjoy and take care of it.

Last edited:
I would do nothing more than send it out to be honed, and pick up a strop.

Your grandpa put all those scratches and scuffs in it, would be a shame to lose them.

There ar quite a few guys here that will hone for cheap or even free. Leighton is doing it for free, and any of the other guys rarely charge more than $20.:thumbup1:

I can hone that razor for you for free. And if you want me to polish it, I can do it for a nominal fee. Won't be a restoration, I'll just be giving it a nice shine.

Great find btw. Looks like a great razor.

Thank you all for the info. Leighton I will take you up on the offer to hone the razor, I will sent you a pm later. English thank you so much for all of the advice, I had honestly not even considered any of the implications of not properly handling a delicate instrument such as this. I have such fond memories of my Grandpa and do not want to take any chances of anything happening to it because I did not know how to take care of it properly. Thanks again everyone.

U

Utopian

I have another bit of advice for you. After you get it honed, don't touch that razor for a few months. You've got to learn with a different razor. The reason is that new shavers have a habit of dropping their razors or banging them against the side of the sink. You want to do that with any razor other than your grandfather's razor. Only when you are confident of your abilities should you take up that razor.

I have another bit of advice for you. After you get it honed, don't touch that razor for a few months. You've got to learn with a different razor. The reason is that new shavers have a habit of dropping their razors or banging them against the side of the sink. You want to do that with any razor other than your grandfather's razor. Only when you are confident of your abilities should you take up that razor.

That is a great idea. I know where I can another to pratice with until I get the hang of it. Thanks for the sugestion.

Definately +1 on that one.

Top Bottom