Equipment used ...
Brush; Edwin Jagger best badger
Lather mug; Edwin Jagger
Razor; Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus adjustable
Blade; Feather 1st use
Pre shave; Proraso menthol green jar
Shave soap; Proraso menthol green tub
Alum; Osma block
Aftershave balm; Nivea sensitive skin (Love this stuff!)

1. Soaked the brush in warm water while in shower
2. After shower applied preshave
3. Dropped in new feather blade and mixed up good lather in mug.
4. Tried setting on 3 to see if it would handle me 5 day thick stubble as a test. (It did not! and clogged easily) went to more aggressive setting 6 and it became very efficient with each pass and I could feel the blade. Once I got to my neck on second pass across the grain I got 2 small weepers and one that bled like a stuck pig! Blood was everywhere! I did re-lather and keept skin tight and light on the razor so?
5. Rinsed cold water and rubbed alum all over except for spot that wouldn’t stop bleeding. Toilet paper is all I had (should probably get a pencil)
6. Rinsed brush and razor dried and put everything away. After about one minute I rinsed face with cold water then applied decent amount of Nivea aftershave balm (my favorite stuff!)

This shave was decent. Maybe a 7 as far as results, besides the one big nick. I still have a lot to learn but my face feels a lot better after shaving this way vs any other way! First time with preshave and alum. I don’t know that the preshave helped much but I do like the alum!

Should I try the second pass or neck shaving less aggressive or find a middle of the road setting and leave it there? Maybe just practice technique. I’d like to figure out what works best for me before I decide on OC or SB blackbird. The 34c has always been ok but not quite efficient enough for my liking.

Great progress!!

To answer your questions I suggest:
1. Stick with your current set up for awhile (and I prefer the 34C, but If you want to continue with the new razor, then I suggest something other than a Feather).
2. Focus on your razor angle and NO pressure.

It always takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ a new set-up. So give things awhile longer.

I would say focus on technique. I have been doing that and haven’t had a weeper or nick in quite a few weeks. I also just got a near BBS shave using skin stretching a Gillette Tech and a Bic Chrome Platinum on its 14th Shave a day after getting horrible irritation from blade buffing. It takes time to figure out exactly how to get great shaves with your own face it seems.

Great progress!!

To answer your questions I suggest:
1. Stick with your current set up for awhile (and I prefer the 34C, but If you want to continue with the new razor, then I suggest something other than a Feather).
2. Focus on your razor angle and NO pressure.

It always takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ a new set-up. So give things awhile longer.

Thanks. You think the feather is too sharp till I get technique down better?
Maybe personna blades?

Thanks. You think the feather is too sharp till I get technique down better?
Maybe personna blades?

Yes indeed! Many experienced wet shavers love them, but I find Feathers a bit to sharp and totally unforgiving of any lapse in technique.

FWITW my top five (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna lab
Personna red

Thanks.
Yes indeed! Many experienced wet shavers love them, but I find Feathers a bit to sharp and totally unforgiving of any lapse in technique.

FWITW my top five (in no particular order):
GSB
Nacet
Astra SP
Personna lab
Personna red

Thanks a lot for the advice. What do you like about the GSB and Nacet? I’m not familiar with those 2.

...What do you like about the GSB and Nacet? I’m not familiar with those 2.

Nacet - nearly as sharp as Feather, but retain their sharpness over more shaves. Very consistent. Also, quite inexpensive when bought in bulk.

GSB - Somewhat less sharp than Nacet, but very smooth shaving blade. Good blade life. Cost more than average, but less than Feather.

About the shaving, you will make better progress if you can pick one setup and stick with it for awhile until your technique is dialed in. Changing too many things at once will make things more difficult.

So, with your adjustable razor, pick a middle setting and leave it there. Pick a blade that's a little more forgiving that Feather, such as GSB. Pick one shaving soap or cream. Now focus on your technique for the next several weeks. Learn how to do a good prep, how to build a good lather, the direction your whiskers grow, good post-shave to minimize irritation, etc. You will make better and faster progress this way.

Nacet - nearly as sharp as Feather, but retain their sharpness over more shaves. Very consistent. Also, quite inexpensive when bought in bulk.

GSB - Somewhat less sharp than Nacet, but very smooth shaving blade. Good blade life. Cost more than average, but less than Feather.

About the shaving, you will make better progress if you can pick one setup and stick with it for awhile until your technique is dialed in. Changing too many things at once will make things more difficult.

So, with your adjustable razor, pick a middle setting and leave it there. Pick a blade that's a little more forgiving that Feather, such as GSB. Pick one shaving soap or cream. Now focus on your technique for the next several weeks. Learn how to do a good prep, how to build a good lather, the direction your whiskers grow, good post-shave to minimize irritation, etc. You will make better and faster progress this way.

Sound advice!

Focus on developing your technique. That is the #1 thing that determines shave quality.

Sound advice!

Focus on developing your technique. That is the #1 thing that determines shave quality.
Thanks. I tried again with the 34c but I don’t like it at all anymore. Not nearly aggressive enough. I think I’ll continue with the Vikings next and try setting 5. I did order some gsb as big j recommended so hopefully that’ll help me dial in my methods with less blood. Lol

Equipment used ...
Brush; Edwin Jagger best badger
Lather mug; Edwin Jagger
Razor; Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus adjustable
Blade; Feather 1st use
Pre shave; Proraso menthol green jar
Shave soap; Proraso menthol green tub
Alum; Osma block
Aftershave balm; Nivea sensitive skin (Love this stuff!)

1. Soaked the brush in warm water while in shower
2. After shower applied preshave
3. Dropped in new feather blade and mixed up good lather in mug.
4. Tried setting on 3 to see if it would handle me 5 day thick stubble as a test. (It did not! and clogged easily) went to more aggressive setting 6 and it became very efficient with each pass and I could feel the blade. Once I got to my neck on second pass across the grain I got 2 small weepers and one that bled like a stuck pig! Blood was everywhere! I did re-lather and keept skin tight and light on the razor so?
5. Rinsed cold water and rubbed alum all over except for spot that wouldn’t stop bleeding. Toilet paper is all I had (should probably get a pencil)
6. Rinsed brush and razor dried and put everything away. After about one minute I rinsed face with cold water then applied decent amount of Nivea aftershave balm (my favorite stuff!)

This shave was decent. Maybe a 7 as far as results, besides the one big nick. I still have a lot to learn but my face feels a lot better after shaving this way vs any other way! First time with preshave and alum. I don’t know that the preshave helped much but I do like the alum!

Should I try the second pass or neck shaving less aggressive or find a middle of the road setting and leave it there? Maybe just practice technique. I’d like to figure out what works best for me before I decide on OC or SB blackbird. The 34c has always been ok but not quite efficient enough for my liking.
The preshave is ment to soften the hairs and prep the skin I leave mine for anywhere from 5 to 10 mins as it has to absorb but I use an oil iv never tried the jar stuff but it does work it just needs time

Top Bottom