What's new

First Shave: Shavette (Ouch/Eager)

I picked up a Facōn Shavette razor with Crown half blades while waiting for my straight razor to arive. My shaving brush comes in tomorrow.

But I couldn't wait. I looked up how to lather on the face without a brush and started my first shave.

It started out enjoyable. I struggled to shave my right cheek (I'm right-handed) and nicked myself a couple of times. Also struggled on the chin. I've read advice to learn the cheeks first but I felt confident enough to do a WTG pass on my entire face.

Even with the face prep and after care my cheeks and chin are burning with razor burn. I've got the two cuts on my right side. And I had to take another pass with my safety razor to get an even shave on my neck and chin.

It's not a failure though. I learned and am looking forward to getting better.

It's also comforting to read on the forums that shavettes take more skill and are less forgiving. Maybe by the time I get the straight what I learn with the shavette will make me feel more like a pro.

I'm certain my angle needs work and I think I used too much pressure.

If my face can take it I'm shaving daily though to get better. If not, I'll do every other day.

Happy shaves.

Rouxblade aka Scott

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Well done in taking the leap into the world of half DE blade shavettes it's what I started out with and shaved with them for over a year before trying Safety razors. I also got the Crown blades with my first shavette and quickly realised they were terrible blades for me. I ordered some Astra Greens and snapped them in half the difference to my shaves became night and day. Perhaps you could snap one of your DE blades in half and load that and see if that helps. It took me ages to shave without getting a wheeler.
Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on.

1. Light touch. 2. Small strokes. 3.Keep the blade feel on skin at minimum.4.strech the skin. 5. You will do good or at least survive. 6. We have all been there.
Thanks for the tips. I think I definitely need smaller strokes. And I'm pretty sure my "blade feel on skin" was set to maximum. Lol.

Well done in taking the leap into the world of half DE blade shavettes it's what I started out with and shaved with them for over a year before trying Safety razors. I also got the Crown blades with my first shavette and quickly realised they were terrible blades for me. I ordered some Astra Greens and snapped them in half the difference to my shaves became night and day. Perhaps you could snap one of your DE blades in half and load that and see if that helps. It took me ages to shave without getting a wheeler.
Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on.
I may try that. Right now I don't know enough to know if these are terrible blades for me as well or not.

To be clear you're suggesting cutting the blade width in half and loading that into the razor? Wouldn't that give a potentially sharp point?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I may try that. Right now I don't know enough to know if these are terrible blades for me as well or not.

To be clear you're suggesting cutting the blade width in half and loading that into the razor? Wouldn't that give a potentially sharp point?
You can bend the blade in its wrapper snapping it in half. It does leave slightly raised edges on the inside of the blade which can make it a bit more fiddly to load the blade but to me it was worth it as I could use any kind of blade I liked.

Getting the brush should be a big help. Building a slick, wet lather will soften the beard and allow you to use a light touch. Most of all it takes practice and patience as you learn.

Getting the brush should be a big help. Building a slick, wet lather will soften the beard and allow you to use a light touch. Most of all it takes practice and patience as you learn.
You're 100% right. The brush came in today. I think my technique was better but the brush made the biggest difference. Absolutely loved tonight's shave.

So, second shave with the brush... could not believe how great the lather felt.

Did WTG and ATG passes. Feels like I have a socially acceptable shave. I bled a bit on my chin but I think that's more from irritation left over from last night's shave.

Face feels tons better than last night.

You have gotten good advice above so I can't add much other than to congratulate you on your bravery and persistence. The shavette will come in handy when your straight razor becomes dull and you just need to shave. One thing, and I should link the thread, spray bottles. Several of us use something called a Flairisol, it's patented and you won't find a fake one easily. They are also known as continuous mist, barbers use them. When you are taking your time trying to learn, it is not at all uncommon for your lather to start to dry out and it's the moisture that it was holding that you really need! The spray bottle allows you to re-hydrate the lather obviously, but it's even better to wet your face first and between passes. It makes a surprising difference.

At the time it was a Facōn Shavette razor with Crown half blade. But since this post I've acquired two SR's. A Dovo Colonial Conk and a Noonan & Sons Colonial.

The irritation has greatly diminished although it's still there at times. When I let myself go with just one to two WTG passes there's little irritation. But when I try for more I end up with some razor burn.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I picked up a Facōn Shavette razor with Crown half blades while waiting for my straight razor to arive. My shaving brush comes in tomorrow.

But I couldn't wait. I looked up how to lather on the face without a brush and started my first shave.

It started out enjoyable. I struggled to shave my right cheek (I'm right-handed) and nicked myself a couple of times. Also struggled on the chin. I've read advice to learn the cheeks first but I felt confident enough to do a WTG pass on my entire face.

Even with the face prep and after care my cheeks and chin are burning with razor burn. I've got the two cuts on my right side. And I had to take another pass with my safety razor to get an even shave on my neck and chin.

It's not a failure though. I learned and am looking forward to getting better.

It's also comforting to read on the forums that shavettes take more skill and are less forgiving. Maybe by the time I get the straight what I learn with the shavette will make me feel more like a pro.

I'm certain my angle needs work and I think I used too much pressure.

If my face can take it I'm shaving daily though to get better. If not, I'll do every other day.

Happy shaves.

Rouxblade aka Scott
Since you are already learning to shave with a shavette, it would be a good time to get a traditional straight razor and begin learning to hone while you are learning how to shave. Learning to shave with a straight while learning to hone at the same time will slow your shaving progress. After getting shaving with a shavette down, going to a traditional straight will be a no brainer. Your first shave was a successful start - keep at it.

Top Bottom