What's new

experiments using different lubricants

I did some experiments today using different lubricants on the heads of a Norelco 1662 dual headed shaver. I compared ESC Maintenance Oil, a light, food-safe mineral oil for electric shavers and hair trimmers, with Biokleen Chain & Parts Lube, a green, biodegradable ester-based household lubricant (sold as an alternative to WD-40). I used some new, generic HQ2 heads from China. I did several runs of 3 minutes and recorded the temperatures using an infrared automotive thermometer. The head lubricated with Biokleen was consistently cooler than the head lubricated with mineral oil, averaging about 3 degrees (F) cooler overall.

Last edited:
I think results for foil shavers could be very different, since foils move at faster speeds. I've done a few runs with a Braun and Remington shaver and the results are ambiguous, both lubricants perform about the same, with no clear winner.

Last edited:
I think results for foil shavers could be very different, since foils move at faster speeds. I've done a few runs with a Braun and Remington shaver and the results are ambiguous, both lubricants perform about the same, with no clear winner.
How did the Braun and Remington shavers do before you lubricated the Heads? How did you apply the lubrications and did you use exactly the same amount on each shaver including the Norelco 1662?

How did the Braun and Remington shavers do before you lubricated the Heads? How did you apply the lubrications and did you use exactly the same amount on each shaver including the Norelco 1662?

The Braun is cooler running than the Remington. I have heard others who are fans of Remington say that they will burn through oil, and I can believe it.

I put three drops on each foil and then wiped off the excess.

I have also noticed, older foils and shaver heads tend to run hotter. Probably because the metal isn't as smooth.

I got hold of some Super Lube Extra Light Synthetic oil. It is equivalent to SAE 20 in viscosity. It seems to lubricate my Remington very well, subjectively producing the least heat. It's also completely food safe.

ESC Maintenance Oil is very thin in comparison, it's probably a weight of 10 or less. It doesn't seem to have much strength to it at all. The viscosity of the Super Lube ELS is similar to Braun or Wahl clipper oils, and would also be excellent for rust prevention.

Top Bottom