What's new

Efficiency: Tech vs. Super Speed

After a pretty good stretch of experimentation with a few Super Speeds and Techs, I’ve found that the Techs have more blade-feel than the Super Speeds do. I was always under the impression that Techs in general are supposed to be milder, but have not experienced this, regardless of the blade or lather. One of each of my specimens were born in 1956, yet feel nothing alike.

What do you think?

I've always been a Super Speed guy, though this week's shaves with a pre-war Tech have blown me away with their closeness. For the later techs I always felt that the Super Speeds were a little more efficient. That may be because I've used the SS much more often.

In my 1st period of DE shaving, i owned an US red tip that i really appreciated on a 3 days growth & more. For a 2 days/24h growth, it was a bit too agressive for my skin.
That's the main reason why i resold it.

My favourite one is the british ball-end Tech #24 (full brass version). I agree with you for the blade feel.

I'm not sure but i think this feeling may come from the way Techs hold the blade : 3 pieces system gives much more rigidity than TTOs system, in my opinion. Personaly, it suits me much better & gives me closer shaves.

I also had a Slim adjustable & i remember that i tried once or twice to shave with it at setting 1 or 2. (which are around Techs setting, i think)
I never managed to get a close shave at these low settings & the blade feel was totally different compared to the Tech : i would say almost like a scratching feeling on the skin with no efficiency on the beard. It was very weird.

TTO system gives more torsion to the blade than the Tech one, and i think that's the way TTOs counterbalance their lack of blade rigidity.
But it doesn't mean either that it will be a more efficient system...

After a pretty good stretch of experimentation with a few Super Speeds and Techs, I’ve found that the Techs have more blade-feel than the Super Speeds do. I was always under the impression that Techs in general are supposed to be milder, but have not experienced this, regardless of the blade or lather. One of each of my specimens were born in 1956, yet feel nothing alike.

What do you think?
There is no answer to your question. Both Super-Speeds and Techs have a variation in gaps and exposure. Many users have tried 3-4 of Gillette TTOs or Techs ans think they know it all. Sometimes even similarly looking razors that are 1-2 years apart have different gaps and exposure. I have been analysing them for decades. So, there is no such thing as Super-Speeds are generally milder or Techs are milder. No generally, it depends on the particular razor.
You say your Tech is a 1956 one but has more blade feel than your 1956 SS. That is simply because the Tech clamps the blade better and gives the blade rigidness. Not so with the SS. Look carefully and you will see it. In the 50s Tech the top cap is pressed against the blade with almost all of its surface.
I have currently 27 Techs and 22 Super-Speeds.

Top Bottom