What's new

Dremel Scroll Saw ?

I have a chance to pickup a like new one from a neighbor.. I'm wondering if it would be good for roughing out scales particularly g-10 material.

Thanks

Legion

Staff member
My father's got one, and he likes it. I'm sure he's never tried to cut g10 with it, though.

I know that they can be problematic when cutting acrylic, as the same part of the blade is being used the whole time, so it gets hot. You don't get that with a bandsaw.

I would say pass. They are good for a lot of things but cutting G10 is not one of them. One thing is as stated above, the blade will get hot and burn your G10. The second thing is it will eat blades very fast.
I would say, keep your eye out for a band saw. They are posted pretty often on craigslist. You should be able to pick one up for a decent price

Legion

Staff member
I would just say spend as much as you can. I have a cheap Chinese one, and it wont cut straight. I've tried everything, the blade always wants to twist.

I own the dremel scroll saw and it is handy, though not for cutting G10. Expect to blow through 2 blades to cut a set of scales. Sometimes I do cause I'm lazy and don't feel like using the coping saw, but G10 is going to be bad on blades regardless (I get about 1.5 sets of scales done before my coping saw blade is toast).

Very timely topic. I'm bidding on one on ebay Australia at the moment to use for trying to make scales. I don't know if the 240v ones are different but the specs listed on it are:
- can cut soft wood up to 30mm thick, and hardwood up to 10mm, metals up to 5mm thick and has a 380mm throat.
If it can cut 10mm hardwood and 5mm metals then I think that it should be able to do G10 as long as you use the right blades.
I realy like the fact that it's also got a sander on the side and the sander attachment can be taken off and a Dremel flexible extender fitted to use all the other Dremel fittings / attachments. Hopefully I get it as I've got alot of spare blades in a cigar box that need scales.

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the consensus is that a scroll saw will cut g10, it will just take a few blades to do it.

if you have something like Craigslist down there check for Dremels on there. I got the router table, workstation and two corded Dremel for under $100. Most had been used once or twice

I picked up a Dremel router table ($20), 6 Tungsten Carbide chipbreaker router bits ($9) and two sheets of 1/8 Micarta ($9) last night on ebay. I've already got a rotary tool (looks like a Dremel but different branding) so I should be able to give it a go when I get it all and set it up.

Legion

Staff member
I picked up a Dremel router table ($20), 6 Tungsten Carbide chipbreaker router bits ($9) and two sheets of 1/8 Micarta ($9) last night on ebay. I've already got a rotary tool (looks like a Dremel but different branding) so I should be able to give it a go when I get it all and set it up.
How do the rotary tool and router table fit together?

Top Bottom