What's new

Dovo Bismarck pictures?

Watching this thread. I'm considering the shoulderless with bone scales or the Bergischer Lowe. I'm not concerned about the gold. I have a NOS Frederich Shlempe that came with gold and I just honed it and it looks fine. The gold rubs off where the hone hits it but it is a nice thin line and doesn't detract from the looks and I can't be bothered taping.

I have found a certain amount of controversy (to say the least) about both of these razors and I'm curious as to how folks who have them feel about the shave and quality. I like the blade design and I'm feeling moved to own one.

I had both the Bergischer Lowe and the Bismarck. I only have the Bergischer Lowe now. They are quite similar in the way they shave but I prefered the Bergischer Lowe a little more.

Is the difference in width any more significant between these two models than it is in general? I think I'm pretty much neutral as to a preference for 5/8 or 6/8. I do like the point of the Bergischer though, it fairly screams precision.

I like bone scales better than horn though, but I must say the Bergischer horn looks lovely.

I hope no one minds me reopening this thread. I bought a Bismarck 6/8 new a month or so ago.

Despite many negative reports on the interwebs, it was shave ready and has served me well. I am wondering though... Would the factory have set the bevel and honed it with tape?
I too fear I would scratch up the beautiful spine. Atm I'm thinking of just refreshing the edge on my black shadow slate.
If the factory honed with tape and I do it without, would this be a huge problem?
It they honed it without tape and I do apply tape would that be a problem?

Thanks!

I hope no one minds me reopening this thread. I bought a Bismarck 6/8 new a month or so ago.

Despite many negative reports on the interwebs, it was shave ready and has served me well. I am wondering though... Would the factory have set the bevel and honed it with tape?
I too fear I would scratch up the beautiful spine. Atm I'm thinking of just refreshing the edge on my black shadow slate.
If the factory honed with tape and I do it without, would this be a huge problem?

Thanks!
Show us some nice photos
All photos from 10y ago are gone

Thanks!
I can guarantee that dovo did not use any tape.
Adding tape on a new dovo razor can actually make it quicker to get a decent edge. You will just be creating a micro bevel.
A new razor will have a good bevel angle that probably is around 16-17 degrees.
You can use the razor for years honed on tape before the bevel angle becomes to steep. At some point you might need to thin the spine.
The bismarck was one of my first razors. It is really hard to beat. It is easy to hone and shaves well.
If you want it to stay in mint condition, just use tape and be careful if you use slurry when you hone the razor.
Mine is used and abused, so it might not be representative here. It is just a tool to me, but I understand that people also look at it differently.

I'm not the best taking quality shots on demand, too much pressure. But I tried. 😊

It's a beauty, but - and I only noticed this after reading someone's comment on here regarding downhill quality of Dovo - I find it a pitty that brand and logo's appear to be laser etched rather than stamped. I mean, the stamped ones even wear/fade out over time. Surely this laser etch won't last very long.

full

full

full

I'm not the best taking quality shots on demand, too much pressure. But I tried. 😊

It's a beauty, but - and I only noticed this after reading someone's comment on here regarding downhill quality of Dovo - I find it a pitty that brand and logo's appear to be laser etched rather than stamped. I mean, the stamped ones even wear/fade out over time. Surely this laser etch won't last very long.

full

full

full
This is amaizing, the most beautifull thing I've ever seen in shaving world. I'm in love 😍😍😍
I need one, not to shave, but look at it, to cherish it, to make love to it...

I had a lovely Bismark until recently, but a good friend decided to start straight shaving, and of course I couldn't just let him buy some **** of the street, he needed something proper, with a proper edge; so I first lent him the Bismark, and he soldiered on and was happy, and his birthday came up and I gave it to him as a present.

I miss it a bit, I have beautiful razors, but the bismark is a really, really great razor. I will definitely pounce if I see one passing my way :)
1676145117347.png

Top Bottom