What's new

Does a High Polish Help Fight Rust?

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I'm being OCD with a blade I'm working on and I'm shooting for the pool of mercury look. I'm getting close but I noticed when I tried to oil it the oil beaded up. Is there still a film there I'm not seeing? I don't believe beading oil is going to protect like a film of oil would. I figure water will bead up also but will oil be as protective on a highly polished blade?

the pooling of oil is the wax that you polished with, wipe the blade with rubbing alcohol then smear mineral oil on the blade

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The short answer is no, there is not an unseen film of oil. If the metal surface is polished enough, even @Ice-Man's suggestion will not help. A similar situation is found in the highly polished bores of engine cylinders. Engine oils have chemical additives that stop the oil from beading on smooth surfaces. Machine oil does not have this additive.

Not wanting to put engine oil on my blades (bad for your health), I find a good alternative is petroleum jelly. Just a very thin coat is needed.

The short answer is no, there is not an unseen film of oil. If the metal surface is polished enough, even @Ice-Man's suggestion will not help. A similar situation is found in the highly polished bores of engine cylinders. Engine oils have chemical additives that stop the oil from beading on smooth surfaces. Machine oil does not have this additive.

Not wanting to put engine oil on my blades (bad for your health), I find a good alternative is petroleum jelly. Just a very thin coat is needed.

just to quote you on this the wax in the polish stops the oil and makes it bead up on the surface as polishing compounds an oil and wax base that's why I said mineral oil and nothing was said about engine oil but a good product I find to use is frog lube if it's good for expensive guns then it's fine for my razors and it's also safe to eat so that's better than any petroleum jelly

Top Bottom