What's new

Cologne longevity

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Glycerine. Added to fleeting aftershaves, makes last longer. Same principle applies, I'd think.

AA

Spray some on clothes. Scents last much longer on fabric. Also, use frag blogs to look up longevity of the scents you are thinking of buying first.

If you really go nose blind to scents, you can always ask others if they smell it on you to check.

Instead of Cologne, buy some essential oils and mix them as desired. This arrangement could last at least 8, and up to 12 hours.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is generally nose blindness. Spray away from your nose (insides of your elbows, for example) and see if that helps.
Definitely a possibility. Do be sure to check with someone else when you think the scent is gone. You don't want to be "that guy," with the cloud of scent following along.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Fragrance just disappears on me. Any tips or tricks to make it stick around longer?

In my experience, scent duration is dependent on both the quality of cologne used, and the person who wears it. I also agree that scents seem to last a good 24-hours or longer, on clothing.

I've been wearing Davidoff Cool Water EDT for the past couple months, during the summer heat wave season. Its a great clean scents that pairs well for warmer months, but it has poor projection, and it only lasts about 6 to 8 hours MAX, and thats even with doing 6-sprays on the neck!

Most recently, I acquired Cremo's Spice & Black Tobacco Vanilla EDT, and what a game changer that is! Not only is projection much improved, but the scent strength is far stronger too. You only need about 3 to 4 sprays on the neck with this stuff, and it easily lasts me 12-hours, with a slint hint left after 16-hours. And of course, the collar of my shirt still holds the scent at 16-hours to 24-hours+.

So ya, I guess what you need to do, is find which scent you like, but from a brand that delivers it strong. Also, another thing I've learned is, you don't need to spend a lot of money on a cologne, to get the quality of much higher priced colognes. You just gotta see whats out there, do your research. Thats how I discovered Cremo's Spice Black Tobacco Vanilla!

Some scent elements are notoriously short-lived. Natural limes and most citruses, really. True bay rum made from bay tree leaves and berries is very, very short-lived. A tenacious bay rum is likely loaded with cloves and cinnamon. Some would say lavender, but my experience is that the human nose acclimates to lavender quickly, and that if you spray a lavender scent on say the back of your hand, which is most often away from your nose, and only smell it from time to time generally it will be there for a fairly long time.

Some scents are, perhaps, notoriously long-lived. A lot of leathers, which have birch tar, for instance. Real oud. Most of the Montale and Amouage brand scents. (Not dis to either of those brands!) I would say that real sandalwood has great longevity.

Good scents, for the most part anyway, should really evolve over the time of wearing. There should be topnotes that evolve into middle notes, until eventually only basenotes are left. Traditionally a scent that stays strong and linear is not good perfumery. Reapplying during the day is not really an answer. Maybe in the morning and then before going out.

Some would say to get the higher concentration edps or even perfumes instead of the edt or cologne concentrations for longevity. My experience is that virtually no edp concentration smells quite the same as the edt version and I cannot think of an edt version I have not liked better than the edp version. I would just use more of the edt if I wanted to go that way.

I guess, overall I would say that most good edts have appropriate longevity to me. I would be careful of nose blindness. As said above, you do not want to be that guy. Spraying on clothes or using a skin lotion underneath supposedly does increase longevity, but is not something I do. Super longevity is really not something I am after. There are some scents, the names of which I am blanking on which seem particularly short. I suppose, as I said. lime scents in general. Creed Cuir de Russie is one, I think, which is odd for a leather and which has been long discontinued as far as I know, and which smells as good as anything, ever to me.

Sillage is projection, which is really different than longevity. I short-lived scent can project a lot when first applied. A long-lived scent can stay close to the skin. (I dislike the term skin scent, but that is probably my foible.)

I am not sure what to say about the longevity of more expensive versus less expensive scents. In my experience, vintage scents hold up much better across a day than to current scents. And surely the vintage formulations of some scents still sold are much better in every respect than the current formulations. I assume this is because the EU has banded some very useful scent ingredients and because some lovely natural ingredients have become scarce and dear indeed. It is hard for me to believe to believe, for instance, that they used to make relatively inexpensive scents with real Mysore Sandalwood. I think of the Mysore sandalwood producers as like the Easter Island resident cutting down the last palm tree on the island.

Try spray on your "warm" body parts, your chest and your biceps.
If you have dry skin, try some unscented bodylotion and let it absorb for 20-30 minutes, and then spray your cologne.

Maybe you purchased cheap stuff. The stuff I purchase costing around $150 for an ounce or two lasts at least two days. And aftershave is not intended to last longer than an afternoon - if that much. Get yourself something from Cartier or Tiffany, Captain Fawcette or Czech and Speak 88.
Fragrance just disappears on me. Any tips or tricks to make it stick around longer?

Maybe you purchased cheap stuff. The stuff I purchase costing around $150 for an ounce or two lasts at least two days. And aftershave is not intended to last longer than an afternoon - if that much. Get yourself something from Cartier or Tiffany, Captain Fawcette or Czech and Speak 88.
There are some "cheap" beast mode perfumes also.
Bentley For Men Intense, Encre Noir, many of Armaf's, Al Haramain's and Swiss Arabian's perfumes can sit on your skin for 24 hours easily.

Top Bottom