What's new

Clearing smoke in my "cigar room"

Hi all,

I have a den with wood floors and stone walls (not much fabric at all). I recently put a bar in there, and was thinking that it would make a great "smoking room".

I'm wondering about the best way to clear the room of smoke. It's not a HUGE room... maybe 14 x16.

I'm thinking I have 2 options:
- "Inlet" and "outlet" fans on either side of the room to pull fresh air in, and push the smoky air out.
- A residential or small commercial "Smoke Eater" that is basically a HEPA filter and mounted on the ceiling.

The "smoke eater" machines don't vent to the outside (I don't think they do) so I thought that simple fans would be the best way to remove smoke from the room. Plus, the machines designed specifically for cigar and cigarette smoke start at about $1,300. However, I do want to avoid the stale smell that cigars can leave.

Any thoughts? I'd love to light up a Padron Anniversary inside while enjoying a Balvenie Doublewood .

Thanks!

Peter

I know someone that has a HEPA filter in his smoking room. He is quite emphatic about how well it removes all traces of smoke if he runs it overnight.

I'm not sure how much regular fans will help. Whenever I smoke cigars, my clothes will reek of smoke for days if they are just being aired-out. The smell really only goes out after laundering.

You might be able to get away with the regular fans since your room doesn't have any upholstery or carpet

I have worked on enough apartments doing renovation work to know that nicotine from the smoke collects on the walls and ceilings of a room being smoke in. Over time it can start streaking on the walls unless it is washed off. White ceilings can turn an orangish-brown over time also from the smoking.

How about an ionizer? Don't know about cigars but I know that they obliterate all traces of cigarette smoking. No nicotine stains either.

If the point is to just clear the smoke out at an acceptable rate, I think some extraction fans, such as bathroom fans would work fine if you vented it out of the room. Of course you will need vents or open windows to allow air in. As mentioned, it will probaly always smell like a smoking room, everything will eventualy get permiated with nicotine and smoke.

Negative pressure keeping a constant breeze will help limit the funk from hanging in the air and becoming stale. A good HEPA filter can work too.

Really important, though, is when all is said and done get those cigar butts out. When those go stale they reek something awful.

Top Bottom