What's new

Can't see! Any tips?

NEXT thing is the chin... the blade is obviously sharp in so far as it passes the hht after a light strop on my leather belt (no strop yet) BUT I'll be dammed if I can get it to cut the whiskers on my chin, it just snags up while the swede in my HD just glides through them. Just bad technique born out of fear of lopping a piece off?

The chin gets easier with experience. If you get too experimental on your chin, you get a nice slice (ask me how I know! :redface:).

Just because it passes the HHT doesnt mean that it is ready to shave, likewise, even if its a great shaver, it doesnt mean that it will pass the HHT

So how do you know if it's ready? It shaves well I guess?
But till you have the experience it's a bit of a chicken egg thing.
It gets me just about bbs on the cheeks with a wtg and xtg pass so it can't be far away but I plan to send it for honing and stropping so I'll have a benchmark to go by for reference.

If it shaves well then good. I was just noting that the HHT does not always qualify a razor as shave ready. A lot of people can tell the shave readiness of the razor using the TPT

chin skin stretching and a low blade angle do the trick on the chin for me..
WTG and XTG passes work best
as for the blind spot.. yes there is one. fortuneately it is in an area that requires little finnesse..
for me, shaving with only my right hand, I have a blind spot when I do the left side of my face at the sideburn.. the hand holding the razor "blocks" the view.. but only for a second then its is low enough to see again.. haven't had a problem as far as mishaps with the blindspot
at first it is somewhat *unnerving* but after a short while its cake. :wink:

chin skin stretching and a low blade angle do the trick on the chin for me..
WTG and XTG passes work best
as for the blind spot.. yes there is one. fortuneately it is in an area that requires little finnesse..
for me, shaving with only my right hand, I have a blind spot when I do the left side of my face at the sideburn.. the hand holding the razor "blocks" the view.. but only for a second then its is low enough to see again.. haven't had a problem as far as mishaps with the blindspot
at first it is somewhat *unnerving* but after a short while its cake. :wink:

Exactly my problem, as you say unnerving to be starting blind but tonight I felt better about it. Left or right hand both work for me now. Haven't sorted out how to hold the thing under the chin yet but it's coming together slowly! Gonna send it off for honing/stropping so I'll need to take extra care when it comes back.

I used to have a problem being able to see the blade on my sideburns and after shaving a few times I learned the feel of my razor and could judge where it was on my face. I still can't see the blade perfectly when I shave there, but I can do it by feel without cutting off bits. Especially with the rounded tip on my straight. As for the chin, when I first started I was using a very low angle with my blade and it didn't seem to cut a single hair. I switched to using a higher one and I get better shaves. Also stretching the skin right helps tremendously. I am in no way an expert, but if you use your blade enough you will learn the length and feel of it and can judge things that way. Might be easier with the limited peripheral vision that glasses give you. Just my two cents. :001_smile

I used to have a problem being able to see the blade on my sideburns and after shaving a few times I learned the feel of my razor and could judge where it was on my face. I still can't see the blade perfectly when I shave there, but I can do it by feel without cutting off bits. Especially with the rounded tip on my straight. As for the chin, when I first started I was using a very low angle with my blade and it didn't seem to cut a single hair. I switched to using a higher one and I get better shaves. Also stretching the skin right helps tremendously. I am in no way an expert, but if you use your blade enough you will learn the length and feel of it and can judge things that way. Might be easier with the limited peripheral vision that glasses give you. Just my two cents. :001_smile

Cheers, it's all down to practice! It's gets a little better each time.

Top Bottom