What's new

Calvin Klein Car Coat

So I just got this coat http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=383899

1. This is considered a car coat...I rarely wear a suit...but would this be suitable (no pun intended) to wear over a suit jacket?

2. I've always taken cuff tag off jackets I have bought in the past. A coworker went with me to pick this out...and he said he thought you are supposed to leave it on...its a typical 1cm x 3cm sewed on thing on the left arm at the wrist...white in color...that says Calvin Klein.

Thanks guys

That's a great looking coat.

But, I wouldn't wear it over a suit jacket/sport coat/etc. It just a bit too casual looking, especially with the zipper. Also, the collar on it looks like it will be prone to sticking up, which while I like with a casual look, isn't the best for a suit IMO. I could see wearing it over a shirt and tie, but not a coat. I think a topcoat is the only way to go with a suit.

I'd cut the tag off if it were me. People should have to ask you what kind/where you bought your nice coat from, not see it advertised on the cuff.

That's a great looking coat.

But, I wouldn't wear it over a suit jacket/sport coat/etc. It just a bit too casual looking, especially with the zipper. Also, the collar on it looks like it will be prone to sticking up, which while I like with a casual look, isn't the best for a suit IMO. I could see wearing it over a shirt and tie, but not a coat. I think a topcoat is the only way to go with a suit.

I'd cut the tag off if it were me. People should have to ask you what kind/where you bought your nice coat from, not see it advertised on the cuff.

+1 on all accounts.

Thanks...basically I agree with both comments...I think it basically looks tacky to display the tag on the cuff...especially when its white..on a black coat.

Also...Since I quit my part time job at a jewelry store...I no longer am required to wear a suit as my day job is just shirt and tie. So I believe this coat will be perfect!

:thumbup:

I almost bought this one: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=383900&CategoryID=49407

after going to Macy's to check out the sizing for this coat I finally decided not to buy it because 1) the stitching looked poorly sewn and 2) the price seemed a little high for what appeared to be a cheaply made coat. I ended up going to Herberger's and getting a London Fog wool car coat for $80 (marked down from $200) and I love it.

Wish I found a London Fog wool coat that fit me and my wallet, and didn't have that inter lining that zipped up.

Alas, I got a Banana Republic one from ebay. Didn't pay too much for it though. Probably paid ~ $100 after tailoring. Hopefully it will last me five years or so. Then I can get a nicer one from Burberry. :thumbup: Or better yet....move to Hawaii!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :001_cool:

I was wearing it leaving work and asked one of my employees if she thought it fit ok because the arms do seem a little large and I was thinking about returning it.

Alas she thinks it looks good...and thought that I had a sweater on...because of the inside zip liner.

Upstate NY...glad it has it...its going down to 9 degrees tonight :thumbdown

Phoenix baby! :001_cool:

Yeah yeah, rub it in when it gets to 120 here.....:glare:

I love summer! But, I'm a desert rat, born and raised. It's the cold that kills me.

Hiking in 120 weather? Easy with two liters of water.

Hiking in snow? Stay inside and drink hot apple cider with Jim Beam. :biggrin1:

This is interesting, I bought a so-called "car coat" from Macy's, their Alfani brand. it was $100. But then, I didn't like how it didn't look formal enough. it looked too much like a fleece, but a little nicer. But the quality was pretty good. Anyway, I returned it. Then I went to banana republic, and they coincidentally had a pretty big sale on outerwear. I immediately bought their pea-coat, which is a very nice wool/nylon/cashmere blend, and looks good in a business setting. Check it out:
proxy.php

I'm very happy with it. With the sale they had, it was only about $120. This was on Friday.

if I were you, I'd go with a pea coat over a car coat, just because it looks better.

I appreciate the advice but so far I am really digging the zipper...I had a peacoat a couple yrs ago (cheapo from old navy) and I just hated dealing with buttons all the time

Pea coat v. Car Coat = personal preference and climate. The colder it is, the more you should lean towards that pea coat.

Ah, how times have changed. When the "car coat" was first named, people that could afford them were likely driving Packard's Duesenberg's, Auburn's, etc... nowadays they are driving Honda's.

In short, I would not wear that with a suit... ever. If you are wearing a suit, you should really have some type of overcoat, in a material and color of your choosing. It should at least reach, if not pass your knee. Basically, think of a pea coat but longer. Anything shorter, or with a zipper for that matter just does not look right with a suit as fare as I'm concerned.

In general, look for dark grey or black, preferably wool. For a better idea, check out This. You obviously don't have to go there, but it should give you a better idea of a coat intended for a suit.

In short, I would not wear that with a suit... ever. If you are wearing a suit, you should really have some type of overcoat, in a material and color of your choosing. It should at least reach, if not pass your knee. Basically, think of a pea coat but longer. Anything shorter, or with a zipper for that matter just does not look right with a suit as fare as I'm concerned.

In general, look for dark grey or black, preferably wool. For a better idea, check out This. You obviously don't have to go there, but it should give you a better idea of a coat intended for a suit.

long coats can be ok if you're into a more formal look but I think a slightly shorter car coat works for business casual. it's a personal preference thing. some longer coats remind me too much of the Matrix and unless you're a banker or working on Wall St it just seems overkill for those of us just looking to wear a nice coat with a suit. my London Fog coat looks good with jeans and tennis shoes but i'd also wear it with dress pants, shirt and tie underneath.

But thats not with a suit. I agree with homebrew, a car coat is not an overcoat. Those are designed to be worn over suits. You can buy a 3/4 length overcoat if length is an issue. Watch the Godfather trilogy for ideas on overcoats. They knew how to dress those actors!

I hear Madmen is a good fora for fashion tips too. But they're all dressed by Brooks Brothers. I like London Fog, Burberry, Oxxford and Hickey Freeman's designs.

Top Bottom