What's new

Brush assembly - VS 28mm ST with WD 30mm butterscotch handle

Too good of a deal to pass up - a Virginia Sheng (Vic Shaving) 28mm silvertip knot that was about $15 if you include shipping (got lucky on auction) and a very nice butterscotch 30mm handle from Larry at Whipped Dog drilled deeper. The knot fit perfectly - was not hard to fit in and probably could have gotten a 30mm knot in there.

I set the knot in the handle with silicone adhesive - so if I wanted to remove it and reset it at a higher loft later it would be easier. I face lather almost exclusively, so a shorter loft is what will work better for me, but want to make sure the 53 depth works well.

Here is a picture of the brush next to a Omega 10066 to judge the size:

$20150309_VS_WD_shavebrush.jpg

Going to wait for it to set up and then maybe give it a hand lather to defunkify it and see it will bloom.

Big brush - way bigger than the 20mm knots I primarily have (except for the 10066).

Larry @ WD is very responsive and a great communicator like many other board members have posted - very good experience.

- Pete

Post-bloom shots of the brush with some other ones to show the size difference:

$20150309_203539.jpg

20mm pure badger on left set at 48mm, the 28mm silvertip Virginia Sheng knot in the WD handle, and the Virginia Sheng 20mm 'New' Synthetic knot in a Ever-Ready handle.

$20150309_203556.jpg

The last brush on right is the VS Finest set at 46mm

That looks like a killer set-up. I really like the VS silvertips I have used, but I haven't set anything larger than 22mm, so that looks giant to me. I think you got the loft about right for the backbone of the VS silvertip (at least for me, and I'm also a face latherer), so I'm going to guess that you'll really like the brush. Give us a report after the first run shaves.

Hi Spang,

This brush is huge, maybe too big For me especially with the goatee. The knot is awesome though - soft tips, good density and have lost three hairs from seating it and two face lathers 4 passes.

I agree with your assessment on the VS silvertip knot they seem very nice - given that my sample size is 1 with the silvertip knots. However, this is my 4th knot from them and all have been good And solid performers.

I have some other photos with the brush bloomed out and dry - I have a big squash, but I think I would need to have a head like Shrek to take advantage of the size of this brush. I probably should try a 22 and 24mm ST knots in some other handles. I bet this could have been set another 2-3mm deeper in the handle too.

Pete

I hear you on that! I usually take a small nugget of my favourite cream and whip up enough lather for about 8 passes!

Loft looks great on yours btw - mine is one of Larry's silvertip knots set at a shade below 50mm.

That is great! I am scared to use this with the soft soaps like Proraso and RazoRock - afraid that I will quickly be going through those tubs with this big boy.

Thanks Benzology & Virtualkellyfor the comments.

Now that I am getting some more experience with the lofts vs. knot sizes - if I need to get another handle from WD - then I can ask Larry if he will custom drill the handle to result in the perfect loft. Did not consider if that was an option when I was communicating with him via email. He was very good to deal with and responsive.

The VS knot is very nice - dense and well shaped.

Pete

Thanks Benzology & Virtualkellyfor the comments.

Now that I am getting some more experience with the lofts vs. knot sizes - if I need to get another handle from WD - then I can ask Larry if he will custom drill the handle to result in the perfect loft. Did not consider if that was an option when I was communicating with him via email. He was very good to deal with and responsive.

The VS knot is very nice - dense and well shaped.

Pete
Seems very reasonable that Larry could create the depth you need for a particular situation. I've learned a lot by simply doing. With a vintage handle, you can experiment a little because most have a lot of extra adhesive at the bottom before you hit hard-bottom. The sides often have substrate too for width. You can also pick the knot that suits what you're wanting to do with the brush too: firmer hair with higher loft; softer hair with lower loft, and so on.

Having an extra millimeter width at the exit isn't bad either and gives a natural splay, if that's what you're looking for. The knot size also effects how the loft looks on the brush. Big knots still look lower-loft, even when they aren't that low. I generally dry-run a knot at midline 54mm and eyeball it for deeper or shallower, depending upon hair used, handle shape, etc.

Yours look really nice, especially when bloomed and will serve the purpose you intended well. Good job.

Thank you for the additional comments VK - I do like it now that I have a few shaves with it. I just picked up a 19mm finest that may go in a blue over ivory handle that has a crack in it (posted previously) - it is a cool looking handle, but I just need to see if repairing the crack with epoxy will do the trick. The other one is a shamrock shake colored Ever-Ready that will need some cleaning up. The top bowl piece looks to have a little separation from the 6 sided base - so will need to figure out how bad/noticeable it is after clean-up. Maybe a little epoxy with some sanding dust from it mixed it will fill that little space.

Top Bottom