What's new

Boveda Humidor Packets

Okay....someone has to ask the first dumb question of the year so--at your service. I was following the thread last week about small cigar humidor ideas and several Brown Leafers swore by the Boveda humidifier packets. I was researching around and saw they were sold both individually and in multi-paks. Is each individual packet sealed as to where its shelf life doesn't begin until you activate it (maybe by tearing off a wrapper or something) or are they always working? I suppose someone with a massive humidor would need a bunch of them all at once so they buy the multi-paks. I want to buy a multi-pak so I have them on hand and won't have to repurchase them every 2-3 months, besides saving a little dough. Any help with my quandary?

The are single wrapped and only activated once unwrapped.

I buy the 12 pack and use 2 at a time for my small Humidor.

E8844AAB-BFB4-4BA8-872B-CF801F141880.jpeg

You can also recharge them. Soak them in distilled water for a day or two. Until they puff back up. They make large 320g sizes too.
Have you had success doing that and has the recharge been as accurate maintaining specific RH percentage as the new packets were?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Have you had success doing that and has the recharge been as accurate maintaining specific RH percentage as the new packets were?

For me, yes and yes. They seem to last forever as long as you use clean distilled water, make sure the surface is completely and utterly dry before you stick them back in, and recharge them before they are totally dried out.

Some of my Boveda packs are on their 7th recharge. If they get dry enough where crystals start forming inside then you are likely too late to recharge.
Also I have had several dry out in the unopened plastic wrap. They sat for maybe 3 years and were dry when opened so maybe don’t buy too far out like I did.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Some of my Boveda packs are on their 7th recharge. If they get dry enough where crystals start forming inside then you are likely too late to recharge.
Also I have had several dry out in the unopened plastic wrap. They sat for maybe 3 years and were dry when opened so maybe don’t buy too far out like I did.

To be honest, I think the above advice may be best. Maybe have enough for what you need, and couple back up for when you recharge the ones in your humidor

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I cycle between 72% and 65%. I really should put in 72% now in the dry winter months but I ain’t got around to it yet. I recharge when they are forming crystals and just not as…bubbly? Or squishy? IDK. You’ll just know. I have some 72% that are totally dry. Rock hard. They will recharge but will just take longer, probably a week. I have about 10-20 various packs in 65%, 72%, 320g, and whatever the small size is. Even have some 84% for seasoning. After I recharge them I put them in ziplock bag and they stay ready to use until I’m ready to use them.

I honestly stopped worrying about the RH. In the beginning I was obsessed. Had the hygrometer, the Boveda Butler and would worry about it. It just got to be a PITA trying to keep it exactly where I want it and trying to get accurate measurements. I figure at any given time the RH is +/- 5%. To me that’s good enough. If I’m running 65% and it’s 60% that’s way better than 39% which it is sometimes in the house. If I’m running 72% and it’s sometimes 77% (which I doubt it ever is) then just let the cigar rest for a bit outside the humi before smoking.

I know it’s always pretty close to what the Boveda says because the packs will last a good while. I have three 320g in the large humidor and they are going on…6-8 months maybe? Maybe longer. The packs are 2-way humidity control. You basically don’t have to worry.

I just toss in the Boveda and let it work. I know it’s close enough to the RH. Lift the lid to cycle the air every few days or weekly if you are not a daily smoker. Enjoy the hobby, don’t obsess over the small details. Trust your gear.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I cycle between 72% and 65%. I really should put in 72% now in the dry winter months but I ain’t got around to it yet. I recharge when they are forming crystals and just not as…bubbly? Or squishy? IDK. You’ll just know. I have some 72% that are totally dry. Rock hard. They will recharge but will just take longer, probably a week. I have about 10-20 various packs in 65%, 72%, 320g, and whatever the small size is. Even have some 84% for seasoning. After I recharge them I put them in ziplock bag and they stay ready to use until I’m ready to use them.

I honestly stopped worrying about the RH. In the beginning I was obsessed. Had the hygrometer, the Boveda Butler and would worry about it. It just got to be a PITA trying to keep it exactly where I want it and trying to get accurate measurements. I figure at any given time the RH is +/- 5%. To me that’s good enough. If I’m running 65% and it’s 60% that’s way better than 39% which it is sometimes in the house. If I’m running 72% and it’s sometimes 77% (which I doubt it ever is) then just let the cigar rest for a bit outside the humi before smoking.

I know it’s always pretty close to what the Boveda says because the packs will last a good while. I have three 320g in the large humidor and they are going on…6-8 months maybe? Maybe longer. The packs are 2-way humidity control. You basically don’t have to worry.

I just toss in the Boveda and let it work. I know it’s close enough to the RH. Lift the lid to cycle the air every few days or weekly if you are not a daily smoker. Enjoy the hobby, don’t obsess over the small details. Trust your gear.

Sage words. I remember your were going through a lot headaches in the beginning.

Thanks for all your replies. I think this advice is going to let me move forward quite simply.👍

You can also recharge them. Soak them in distilled water for a day or two. Until they puff back up. They make large 320g sizes too.
Wow. I have been buying the packs for years. I never knew you could recharge them. Ironically I went to the cigar club today ( had a nice aged Oliva V, watched red zone) and forgot to buy some new packs.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Wow. I have been buying the packs for years. I never knew you could recharge them. Ironically I went to the cigar club today ( had a nice aged Oliva V, watched red zone) and forgot to buy some new packs.

Wow, great that you stumbled on this thread :). I prefer the method where you don’t submerge them in water, but all my friends do it that way.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Sage words. I remember your were going through a lot headaches in the beginning.

Yup. I spent all this money and I wanted to do it “right”. I wasn’t even enjoying the cigars because I was too worried about the humi. It was never at a point of failure it just was never PERFECT. Well, it ain’t gonna be PERFECT. A couple Boveda, Set it and forget it, is pretty much “right”.

Boveda doesn’t want you to know you can recharge them.

Wow, great that you stumbled on this thread :). I prefer the method where you don’t submerge them in water, but all my friends do it that way.
What method is that? I toss them all in a bowl and add water. When they are done towel them off and good to go. Not a huge pain but maybe there is a better way?

If certain cigars are in a cellophane wrapper, is it best to remove it before placing in a makeshift humidor or will the two-way Boveda process work through the cigar wrapper? Do you feel they would re-hydrate sticks faster without the cellophane?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Yup. I spent all this money and I wanted to do it “right”. I wasn’t even enjoying the cigars because I was too worried about the humi. It was never at a point of failure it just was never PERFECT. Well, it ain’t gonna be PERFECT. A couple Boveda, Set it and forget it, is pretty much “right”.

Boveda doesn’t want you to know you can recharge them.

What method is that? I toss them all in a bowl and add water. When they are done towel them off and good to go. Not a huge pain but maybe there is a better way?

No not better. What I do is put them on a dish, fill a Tupperware with distilled water, and lower the dish in. Then I cover it and set it aside for a week. I just have a phobia that the submerging isn’t good for the packs, but really have no reasoning for it.

No not better. What I do is put them on a dish, fill a Tupperware with distilled water, and lower the dish in. Then I cover it and set it aside for a week. I just have a phobia that the submerging isn’t good for the packs, but really have no reasoning for it.
My method is saturate a paper towel with distilled water. Place the pack/s in a large ziplock bag with the wet paper towel not touching the towel. This way I can poke the packs from the outside to see when they get soft and mushy again. I have some that have held up for several years.

Good tips. I need to re-ask about leaving the cellophane on individually wrapped cigars versus removing it before placing the sticks in the humidor. Any good reasons why one might be better than the other? I have to assume some of my cigars will need some re-humidifing between receiving from an online vendor and actually smoking them.

Good tips. I need to re-ask about leaving the cellophane on individually wrapped cigars versus removing it before placing the sticks in the humidor. Any good reasons why one might be better than the other? I have to assume some of my cigars will need some re-humidifing between receiving from an online vendor and actually smoking them.
Leave it on, it‘s not airtight anyway and you can see your sticks maturing as it turns yellow from the tobacco oils. Also it is mild protection should you have swings in your humidor environment.

Top Bottom