What's new

Benchmade 940 pocket knife

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wanted to ask the opinion of the forum members about this classic folder. It is expensive and I am not sure whether I should buy it.
Can anyone share their experience? Is it worth it?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I wanted to ask the opinion of the forum members about this classic folder. It is expensive and I am not sure whether I should buy it.
Can anyone share their experience? Is it worth it?

I had to go look ...

Unbelievably, I have it! The carbon fiber version. (I'm fortunate to have four Benchmades - two were gifts, the Adamas folder and this one). Was a Christmas gift.

Lots of reviews, read them.

I have made a paracord loop and put it through the clip. I prefer knives to have a hole to run one through, so this is my work around.

The blade shape is amazing. The handle feels great. The AXIS lock is a fortress. (Yes the spring can fail some day. So can everything).

The weight is perfect, unlike the Adamas (not likely I'd have bought that one. So heavy!)

It *may* be a tad long for pocket carry - or perfect for you, I don't know.

The quality is ridiculously good. But these things are personal. The lack of a lanyard hole bothered me, but I fixed it with that lanyard loop through the clip.

I would say to handle one first. See how it feels in your pocket (I don't really use the clips; many do). Gunstores sell them. But it is one front and center in my rotation.

AA

My son has the Green 940, I get a chance every so often to open it and handle it. Wow it's a nice knife. Too pricey for me but he loves that knife. Best of his collection and he has a lot of them.

It all depends on how you use it. I think the Benchmade Mini Griptillan and the Spyderco Delica 4 epitomize the modern pocket knife. I have both and they are both great edc knives. They are light and the blades are around three inches which is a good size that won't scare the weanies. I am no knife fighter so I look at it as just a tool. YMMV.

It’s one of my favourites and has been in heavy rotation for years. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat if I lost my current. Other faves are Spyderco Kapara and CRK Large Sebenza.

The BM 940 is an excellent knife... though rather expensive. I sold all of my Benchmades off and I had many, except for my fave... the 710 M2. I prefer Spyderco knives... have three classic users and my EDC is the venerable PM2.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally got those pix ... Can see my no-lanyard-hole workaround... And what beast the Adamas is!

full

full

@Space_Cadet

AA

Benchmade is an excellent knife. Could not agree more about the AXIS System. I have been carrying around a Benchmade Presidio for years. Flawless....
A6C6F9B3-13DF-4483-BD53-EB3A71CD3D11.jpeg

I’ve had my Benchmade folder for 20+ years and it’s a beast. It was my only blade when I did a lot of backpacking esp w that tonto point. I had the blade engraved w my initials and it’ll be a keepsake for my son in the years after I am gone.

Hiya,

Back in the early 90s I started acquiring some knives at various shows in the Chicago area, some of which were various Benchmade models. To me they were quite well made, real purty, and not crazy expensive.

Living now inna state where carrying autos is fine, but the Benchmades have too long a blade legally for that, so I carry an old Paragon ATKO3 bought new years ago.

Anyway, here's a pic of the Benchmade 'Spike' similar color to mine, which has amazingly quick action,

Martin

Attachments

• Spike.jpg
    Spike.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 12
It all depends on how you use it. I think the Benchmade Mini Griptillan and the Spyderco Delica 4 epitomize the modern pocket knife. I have both and they are both great edc knives. They are light and the blades are around three inches which is a good size that won't scare the weanies. I am no knife fighter so I look at it as just a tool. YMMV.

Gosh, I could have written this post. The Mini Grip and Delica are my primary EDC knives, as well. I owned the green 940 for a short time, but found it to be a bit too long for EDC. Pretty knife, though.

I also have a Bugout in rotation and it is great for when you are just running around in thin athletic shorts. It is very light and flat so you can even slip it into your waistband.

I have put together a pretty respectable collection of knives over the past decade, through good fortune working at a knife and gun shop. I managed to get a bunch of benchmades and spydercos as well as other for significantly reduced prices. The BM 940 is a superb knife and hard not to recommend to anyone with and interest. At this time, I have carried this knife almost daily for about 3 years. I also like this knife so much I bought a second one close to full retail just to have another one if in the event this one was lost or stolen.

However, I would recommend another knife that may better suit your needs. The 940 is sleek and is relatively benign in the eyes of most people when closed. The knife has the one of the best blade to handle ratios which is why it is so well regarded. The only downside to this knife is the blade design if need a knife that is good at slicing. Theblade has very little belly and is mostly long and flat. Spyderco makes their Paramilitary model, and this is made of the same S30V steel as the 940, and the entire blade is curved, basically all belly, which makes this an unbeatable knife for slicing. The Paramilitary is not sleek like the 940 and is not quite as discreet. All of that aside, when I choose a knife to carry when I anticipate regular to heavy use, I leave the 940 at home and take the Paramilitary because it is so effective and easy to use. The other benefit to the paramilitary is that it will leave anywhere from $40 to $90 in you wallet compared to the 940, depending on your bargain hunting skills.

Both knives are S30V steel, which is excellent. Both are USA made. Benchmade offers better customer service in my experience, but spyderco is a high quality product and you won’t likely need to contact customer service. But if a pocket clip breaks or scratches, benchmade with take care of you, whereas Spyderco will require a couple bucks to send you a new one.

Personally, I recommend you buy both. It won’t be something you regret.

Top Bottom