What's new

Barbury's Shave Brush

I was at Sally's Beauty Supply yesterday and I saw this brush. I couldn't tell whether it was synthetic or badger at first because it looked so good, but at 8 bucks I figured it couldn't be real badger. The feel of the brush did seem a bit more like a synthetic however, and I think that's what gave it away. I'm guessing the knot is about 21-22mm.

I plan to order a few just to try it out.

Check out the very natural waviness of the fibers in this photo. I haven't seen that in synthetic brushes except in Muhle's brushes:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Yaqi's synthetic knots also have wavy hairs. For example, my Red Marble 26mm Tuxedo:

proxy.php

And, they have a tapering shaft diameter and curvy/forked ends like Muhle's knots.

Just had a look at the listing at the Sally Beauty Supply website: Shave Brush by Barbury's

This sounded familiar, so I did a search (for "barbury" and "sibel"). Turns out that several people on B&B have tried it and found it to be pretty good. And, at only $7.49, it's quite a bargain, too. Getting great-performing products at low prices from domestic vendors (instead of waiting for overseas shipping) is a bonus. Looking forward to FireDragon76's review!

Meanwhile, a look at the
Barbury's by Sibel website shows a wide variety of shaving products, ranging from straights and TTO razors to brushes and lather bowls. Who among us will volunteer to test all of these out? :001_smile

Nice handle on that Burbury synth. Almost identical to Omega premium boar. If the burbury is turned resin, you are going to like the heft without being too heavy.
omega-boar-hair-shaving-brush-011829-jade-resin-0111-1633.jpg

I use this brush today. It's a good little brush. I'm guessing the knot is about 21mm. I did a 1 1/2 pass shave with a Yingjili (Tech clone) and I found the brush perfectly adequate for that sort of thing.

It's a little better than the older synthetic I had been using regularly for the past few weeks, and it whips up shave cream into lather quickly (I used Indian Old Spice shave cream today). I did a little bit of bowl and face lathering. The bristles are less scratchy than my older synthetic and are relatively soft. It also retains heat relatively well.

I'm not sure what the handle is made out of it- some kind of plastic. It has a faint moulding line, and the handle isn't very heavy. But the shape is nice in my hand.

It's definitely worth the 8 dollars that Sally's Beauty Supply is asking for it.

Top Bottom