What's new

Astra: not the razor blade

I've had the espresso bug for a year, now, and I've been looking at all sorts of new and used machines in the $300USD range. I've stumbled across an Astra GS. It's a 110V, plumb-in, single group, machine. It will probably need a pump rebuild, which I can handle.
I can't find any bad reviews of the machine, and I know it's retail value is much greater than $300. So, how difficult is it to "learn" on a machine like this. I have zero e.spresso experience. That's right, I said zero.

You should be fine with that machine. You will need practice to figure out the proper dosage and grind as well as how to tamp. But it is a little bit like DE shaving in that you should get acceptable coffee fairly quickly while still making smaller adjustments months later to make it even better.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Lucky for you the Cafe has a steward with all the knowledge you need. Paging Turtle!

When I visit I want a double.

Astra is a commercial espresso machine company. The GS (Gourmet Semi-auto) is a commercial machine targeted to the prosumer market. 2000 watt boiler means you will need a dedicated 20 amp circuit if it blows the breaker frequently. Other than that, you should find it very easy to use. Astra says it requires a 20 amp circuit and it more than likely will want to be the only appliance running on that circuit. According to the Astra site, it weighs 95 lb (machine without water) so you will need a permanent and stable place to locate it.

I do not see a single/double shot switch but their website says it is programmable. There is no manual/user-guide download on their web site so I would recommend you contact them and get a manual before starting to use it. G.S. | Astra Coffee Machines

I'd suggest getting a measured shot glass and using that in the beginning to get familiar with the volume/time you need to keep the machine's pump on. Once you have the program set to turn off at the volume/grounds ratio, it is just a matter of grinding the exact same weight of coffee, tamping to the same pressure, attaching the portafilter, putting a cup under it, and pushing the start button.

proxy.php

The MSR price is $2,395.00 in case you were wondering. So you got a nice used machine for $2k off retail

Top Bottom