What's new

Anyone build brush handles?

I am looking to make some wood handles for some shaving brushes. I was hoping to buy a few silver hair brushes from Pen State ind. I love pen making, and am curious as to how you attach the brush to the handle if anyone has done it. Any help would be appreciated. I am getting ready to turn my first handle for my Olaf Rasmussen Razor this weekend.

Quite a few B&B members make brush handles, and others restore and re-knot old ones. There's a brush making and restoration sub-forum on the main brush one, and it has loads of good information. In short, the key thing is to decide what loft you want on the brush, and hence how deep you need to make the hole in the handle in which to set the knot. To stick it in, I've found Devcon five-minute epoxy to be the easiest and most reliable adhesive.

I plan on making my own. I just noticed it's a 13/16 bit that you still out to place it in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I make all my own brushes. The knot is glued into the handle (epoxy). You have to consider knot size (diameter) for the hole and depth of the hole for loft.

Last edited:
You will need some means of holding the handle in the lathe to turn it. Penn State has a kit (a "stub" that a screws over the drive and allows you to screw a blank on using a hole you drill) that is a bit pricey, but you only need it once. The process is roughly to drill the appropriate sized hole for the adapter, then counter-drill the recess with the 13/16" Forstner. If I remember correctly, the knot will drop into the hole, it didn't have a substantial "glue bump" like some other do. If the bristles are significantly wider than the base, you will need to use a larger bit for clearance as the base should be set at least a couple mm below the top of the handle. Use a drill press, or a three or four jaw chuck with the bits in the tailstock, I've done both. Drill press is easier if you have a good vise.

I've used a couple of their knots, and while the "AAA Pure Badger" is actually my favorite brush, it is still shedding six months later. Irritates me enormously, as otherwise I really like it. Hopefully the silvertip is better.

Peter

I've never used a kit from Penn State, but I chuck the blank on my lathe, square off the end, then throw a Jacob's chuck in the tailstock and drill the hole with a forstner bit. Technically you don't even need a jacob's chuck & bit, you can make the hole with a parting tool or carbide cutter, but a forstner bit ensures consistency and it's faster. There's more than one way to skin a cat, so you need to decide how you're going to go about chucking and shaping the handle then go from there. Watch some youtube vids to get ideas and feel free to ask questions.

@oscar11 - very nice work! And don't let that Founders mug out of your sight! :wink:

ReapersBlade, yes I made the scales. I use a Vicmark chuck. Most of my turning stock is round or square, you just have to watch your fingers.

Top Bottom