What's new

Anybody revisit a razor and liked it better the second time around?o

I recently revisited a Winning razor I’d put in a drawer and got better shaves than I had before. Not as good as I want, but better. It is making me think about ordering a more aggressive razor from Yates. Who has given a second shot to a razor and been surprised at thevresults?
Jack

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have had only few razors that where challenging and would revisit down the road. Some times a persons technique is tweaked a little or a different blade is used that makes a difference. I have a very Aggressive razor that is a challenge regardless and every once in a while I will take it out for a shave to see if I can master it.

For me it’s the Lupo .72. The first time I used it I thought it was ok but not as smooth as some of the other razors I own including the Lupo .95 but when I revisited the second time paired with an Astra Sp blade (and many times after that) it very smooth and I think it may be the most efficient razor I own especially for under my chin.

My first DE razor was the Vikings Chieftain razor, inexpensive and has 13,000+ reviews on Amazon. It seemed like a safe choice to start my journey away from electric and cartridge. Although it shaves much closer than anything I used for over 40 years prior, it also was left me with nicks fairly often. I started with the Vikings mid blades that were included and moved to a sample pack of different blades And practiced technique. Despite improvements in the shave the experience still often left me with cuts and irritation. i did not want to give up on DE so instead tried a different razor, Muhle R89, which made a very tangible difference.

Over time as my technique improved, I decided to revisit the extremely highly rated Viking Chieftan. However, the shave was more often than not still hard on my face. As a matter of fact the Muhle R89 with a new feather blade worked better on my face. Note: after trying about 10+ different blades, my two overall favorites are Nacet and Perma Sharp

Botton line, my Viking Chieftain revisit reaffirmed my first experience. Now, a little over a year later, my two go to razors as the Muhle R89 and Merkur 37C slant (for over two days growth).

I recently revisited a Winning razor I’d put in a drawer and got better shaves than I had before. Not as good as I want, but better. It is making me think about ordering a more aggressive razor from Yates. Who has given a second shot to a razor and been surprised at thevresults?
Jack
I suggest getting a Yates as they perform much better than the Winning Razor. I’ve used Yates razors for a several years now. Tried a WR when it first came out and it was no winner in comparison. Of course it’s always a YMMV.

Like @AndyPanda I too am in my first year of wet shaving. I started out with a Merkur 34c that I abruptly retired in my frenzy to try different razors, instead of focusing on technique. Now six months later, I have settled down with a few solid razor choices, but I am curious to revisit the 34c as it is a venerable crowd favorite here.

Think some people want a Razor to be special out of box, and give-up on tool before they gave a chance.

I tend to try a Cigar times 3 before giving up on particular blend, because they are hand made. If God Awful, I might give up after one.

I don’t know. For sure if I go back to a razor I haven’t used for a long time I will get a better shave from it because my shaving technique has improved. But when I’ve done that my judgements about the characteristics of the razor relative to other razors tend to be the same - a aggressive razor remains aggressive, an efficient razor remains efficient, etc. I haven’t so far re-used a neglected razor and formed a different opinion about it.

I have, however gone back to a razor and tried using it a different way, and that sometimes taught me something new about it. A good example is that I always used my Blackbird with a steep angle and it was very impressive but my skin wasn’t always strong enough to take so much blade without some irritation. But when later I picked it up and tried riding the top cap with the bevel flat on my skin I learned it shaved very differently - very smooth and gentle, but only medium efficiency. I suppose by using both angles in different parts of my shave I could get an even better result, using the angles like a kind of adjustable razor.

Another example I recall, which reinforced my previous view, was with my Wolfman WR2 1.35. This was my first WR2 and I found it medium efficient but not very comfortable and not as efficient as I’d hoped - certainly not efficient enough for the level of harshness I was feeling. I put it away and later bought a 1.55 (which I found very efficient indeed and also very comfortable). Then I got a 0.95 which was also very efficient and very comfortable, but more gentle than the 1.55. So, thinking that I’d got the hang of WR2s, I tried the 1.35 again. I still found it not as efficient as the 1.55 or even the 0.95, and it was still less comfortable than either the 1.55 or the 0.95. I was a better shaver, and more accustomed to using WR2s, but my view of the 1.35 didn’t change.

For me it is the Lupo 95. Had one and it was ok, but sold it. Got another one a year later or so and now really like it (especially with the new thin bar handle).

I've been disappointed in my Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji from time to time and actually put it back in its box on a shelf for a few weeks but pulled it back out a little while ago.
I'm trying to give it a second chance with the caveat that even though it's an adjustable razor, I basically can only shave with it on the lowest setting. But that's okay, I guess. And so far it's doing okay.

proxy.php

I've been disappointed in my Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji from time to time and actually put it back in its box on a shelf for a few weeks but pulled it back out a little while ago.
I'm trying to give it a second chance with the caveat that even though it's an adjustable razor, I basically can only shave with it on the lowest setting. But that's okay, I guess. And so far it's doing okay.

proxy.php

Wow the design of that head really reminds me of a vintage SuperSpeed. The SS wasn't adjustable though. I'm not familiar with Viking razors but they had to base this one off the SuperSpeed, right?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been sort of having a similar experience, but from a slightly different paradigm. I've been experimenting with a few new razors I recently purchased..... leaving my top 5 or 6 razors sitting, unused, atop our master bath vanity top or my tall dresser in the bedroom.

Fortunately, most of the razors I've added have been stellar, but I decided it was time to get back to what had been my top razors. I'm a bit relieved.... they are all as good as I remembered. 7 weeks away in Bali was one reason they were neglected for a while as I only took two of my top razors with me. It's nice to confirm there was a reason I rated them so highly. I worry about confirmation bias, but when I put the razor to my face and get a wonderful shave, though it isn't magic, a sense of hmmmm I'm struggling for the right word(s), "contentment" overcomes me and it lightens my spirit, brightens my day/evening, etc..

Who thought shaving could do that? I sure didn't until I started traditional wet shaving last year.

Wow the design of that head really reminds me of a vintage SuperSpeed. The SS wasn't adjustable though. I'm not familiar with Viking razors but they had to base this one off the SuperSpeed, right?
I think it's actually based more on the Gillette 195 (Fatboy), which is a twist-to-open design but also adjustable. I have four Super Speeds and, yes, the opening mechanism is similar. In fact, the Emperor's mechanism is very smooth. But, as you said, the Super Speeds lack the adjustability factor.

I don't give them time for a revisit. When they don't work, they get sold🤣
I always say that the unused razor is money on the table. Money I can use to try another one that might be the one!

Top Bottom