What's new

Any info on a "SUPERIOR" wedge blade razor out there?

I just acquired a "SUPERIOR" lather catcher wedge blade razor, in box but sans blades. It's quite beautiful and strongly resembles a 1902 Star model; it accommodates standard single edge blades handily. The base is engraved SUPERIOR/SAFETY RAZOR/210 ELEVENTH AVE.,/N.Y. U.S.A./Patented in U.S.A & England. Does anyone know anything about this make?

It wouldn't happen to look anything like this one, would it? :wink2:

$$%28KGrHqF,!o8FBkd2ctLCBQfZZFYBRg~~60_57.jpg

It's pretty much exactly a rebranded Gem Junior Bar razor, made by Gem under the Superior name. I'm not entirely sure what the story is there, but I've seen this exact same razor sold as the "Cuticura Superior" razor (Cuticura was a soap manufacturer) as well as in just plain "Superior" cases like the one pictured above.

I would assume that it's from around the same time frame as the Gem Junior Bar -- about 1907-1912. It's also possible that their manufacture went later than the GJB's, and that the purpose for the change to the Superior name was to be able to continue selling the older style frame, while moving the GEM name on to the newer 1912-style razor.

Edit: Incidentally, this frame was meant to be used with thin SE blades, and not the older wedge blades at all.

Last edited:
Many thanks, and my mistake! Because of the specificity of the "12 blade" I assumed it was a wedge blade razor. The Cuticura affiliation may explain the capital "C" in the ornate blade support metalwork on the frame; that was confusing me. Otherwise mine is exactly like yours, including the box. Should I use spineless SE blades with it, should I choose to try it out, or will using standard ones be all right?

I also see the "G" - "C" possibility now that I've looked at the link! terrific! I'll go ahead and use a good ol' Blue Star with it...

Modern spined blades are perfect in it. It's actually my personal favorite SE razor. Very nimble and effective without being over-aggressive.

It DOES shave beautifully - I'm very fond of my Gem Damaskeene, but this is a very different feel and quite wonderful. Thank you again for your information and help.

Top Bottom