What's new

Abu Garcia 303R spinning reel (schematic - long shot)

Hi guys,

I am having problems (self induced) with my old reel.
Abu Garcia 303R spinning reel (small rear drag, 2 bearings), 01 and 97 are marked on the reel's foot. I guess the reel is about 20 years old, and was feeling a bit gritty. I took it apart, and cannot get it assembled correctly.

My problem is the main worm-gear-shaft assembly. This is the area under the spool held in with a plate and 3 screws. There are two bearings, one is a multi-piece unit that has needle bearings in it, and the other is a self-contained roller bearing. Maybe someone knows what I can use for a reference to get this figured out. Garcia has many schematics, but I cannot yet find one like this reel.

Thanks,Jody
Edit - I intended to put this in outdoors, can I change that?

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hi guys,

I am having problems (self induced) with my old reel.
Abu Garcia 303R spinning reel (small rear drag, 2 bearings), 01 and 97 are marked on the reel's foot. I guess the reel is about 20 years old, and was feeling a bit gritty. I took it apart, and cannot get it assembled correctly.

My problem is the main worm-gear-shaft assembly. This is the area under the spool held in with a plate and 3 screws. There are two bearings, one is a multi-piece unit that has needle bearings in it, and the other is a self-contained roller bearing. Maybe someone knows what I can use for a reference to get this figured out. Garcia has many schematics, but I cannot yet find one like this reel.

Thanks,Jody
Edit - I intended to put this in outdoors, can I change that?

Lol'd. Someone will be along and see it, sooner or later. :)

Thanks for the link.
Mine is a little bit different, especially where I am stuck (drive gear bearings).
I am not sure mine is a Cardinal, it just says Abu Garcia.
Jody

I found a youtube video Dennis \ 2nd chance tackle, working on a penn spinning reel with a similar design. Problem solved (mostly).

I am attempting to figure out how to delete this thread.

I wish I had taken a movie OR still pictures as I took the reel apart. That would have saved much time. I have hundreds of dollars in labor wasted trying to assemble a 20 dollar fishing reel.

Edit: It would have been cheaper to buy another one, but my personality does not allow me to give up easily.

You obviously love difficulties)
I’ve been fishing for a long time and there was exactly the same reel as yours, the result is that one day it almost completely crumbled in my hands and hurt me. Maybe I got a marriage, I don’t know. Used since the purchase a year. Now I have this option Shimano ST2500HGFK, I’ve been using it for more than 2 years now, everything suits me :)

Top Bottom