What's new

A Quick Tale of a Crappy Shave

Great post! I’m coming off of two bewildering, underwhelming shaves myself. A new blade tonight is hopefully the ticket!

Thanks! My SAD was there, tapping my quietly on the shoulder, telling me perhaps I should assuage my frustration with some new soap. Thankfully I ignored him.

It happens. Once in a while I find myself not necessarily rushing, but just shaving more quickly than normal and usually the results aren’t the best. Also, sometimes i just have an off day, where nothing seems to click for some reason. Finally, although it’s rare, I have gotten a bad blade right out of the package and been nicked up with it, or it just wouldn’t shave close enough no matter what angle I tried. Shaving seems pretty straight forward, but there are a lot more variables involved than many people realize.

It is soooooo easy to fall back into my hubris the next morning, always thinking I got this!. But I'm trying to remember, before taking that first stroke, to slow down and enjoy it. I don't have to rush through it, so why am i? Foolish mortal.

We all have those days when the shave is just bad. I had a bad experience with my Gillette Fatboy. I had been using it on setting 7 for all three passes and all was well until one day I had really irritated skin on my neck. It was so bad that I had to skip two days to let it cool down. I figured out that: 1) I had unconsciously increased pressure, and 2) I needed to dial down the adjustment to setting 3 for the ATG pass.

So, this morning, I was using my Gillette Slim with a Personna blade on it's sixth use. Passes one and two on setting 7 still seemed to leave stubble, and the blade seemed to drag, despite my usual Cremo pre-shave. Figuring that I probably kept the blade too long, I grabbed a BIC Sensitive cartridge for the ATG pass with good results.

I think Steinmetz has Bic nightmares, probably Disney-esque with line upon unceasing line of upright blades marching in lockstep in a slow, frightening surge toward his face.

Top Bottom