What's new

A little advice on a second mod

Nice little bit of kit. Fits in the hand comfortably and is far less bulky than the Smok M80. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Prof.
View attachment 581946

Popped a fresh coil into the tank and it's vaping away nicely, looking forward to getting to know it.

Sweet, glad you like it. By the way I still owe you wire, and cotton. I will post them out on Friday, sorry for my forgetful nature :blushing:

Thanks, I've got some 28 guage kanthal and muji on the way from fasttech, and a derringer clone, but I think it's on the slow boat.

Just a wee update on the Coolfire 4, been using it for a couple of weeks now and a few quirks with the menu system aside, adjusting up or down is a little irritating, it's really nice little mod. The form factor is about ideal for in hand ergonomics and it sits pretty well in my pockets. My Smok M80 now feels a little like a shoe box in comparrison but still has prime place on my computer desk upstairs. It has been more than enough for trips to the pub/beach/park....while it's nice to have the 40w available 10-30w is plenty for social spaces without injecting a weather system into the room. I suspect at some point I'll want to upgrade from the 80w Smok but for the time being the Smok has enough heft to keep my happy and the Coolfire is ideal for most day to day vaping and being out and about.

Before heading off for a week's break to Northumberland whilst prepping my Cthulhu RTA I dropped the glass/pyrex section on the lip of the sink, it bounced, hit the wall tiles and landed in the toilet. I was sad. Moral of the story, don't service breakables whilst conducting an argument, you may lose both.
$IMG_20150627_120746.jpg
Thankfully the guys at Cthulhu are sending me a new tank section for a few dollars postage.

In other news my Derringer clone should be here any day alongside a decent supply of cotton and kanthal, looking forward to some experimenting. First I thought one tank, one atomzier..... but as my vaping adventure has been more Frank Spencer than Bruce Lee having a few extras around is proving handy.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Velocity clone from Fasttech was what started off in my basket...last minute switch to the Derringer as I'd heard a lot about it and I'm under the impression that the tiny RDA will look cool on the coolfire.....although it's probably gonna spend more time on the Smok 80w. Also partly curious to see what $7 worth of atty gets me, it's almost worryingly cheap.

On the subject of cloned drippers, and to anyone who has tried the real deal vs a clone, have you found much difference in performance between the two? I anticipate issues with finish, fit, screws, presentation etc but once it's sandwiched between a mod and drip tip is there a reasonable difference in performance between a cheap knock off and the real deal? My current atomizers are low end authentic, Lemo drop & Cthulhu, the Derringer I've ordered is less then 10% the price of the real deal, with drip tip included, which seems like a huge difference. I'm kinda hoping it's like a Chinse Gold Dollar straight razor as oppossed to a Pakastani straight, a bit more effort to get up and running, a little lacking in style but once tamed it works a treat.

It's only been a few months but having just found a bottle with a few mils left of Mr Myagi by Alpha Vape my first favourite juice has not yet been topped, this stuff is lovely.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Velocity clone from Fasttech was what started off in my basket...last minute switch to the Derringer as I'd heard a lot about it and I'm under the impression that the tiny RDA will look cool on the coolfire.....although it's probably gonna spend more time on the Smok 80w. Also partly curious to see what $7 worth of atty gets me, it's almost worryingly cheap.
It does look quite cool on the Coolfire

On the subject of cloned drippers, and to anyone who has tried the real deal vs a clone, have you found much difference in performance between the two? I anticipate issues with finish, fit, screws, presentation etc but once it's sandwiched between a mod and drip tip is there a reasonable difference in performance between a cheap knock off and the real deal? My current atomizers are low end authentic, Lemo drop & Cthulhu, the Derringer I've ordered is less then 10% the price of the real deal, with drip tip included, which seems like a huge difference. I'm kinda hoping it's like a Chinse Gold Dollar straight razor as oppossed to a Pakastani straight, a bit more effort to get up and running, a little lacking in style but once tamed it works a treat.

It's only been a few months but having just found a bottle with a few mils left of Mr Myagi by Alpha Vape my first favourite juice has not yet been topped, this stuff is lovely.

Have had a couple of cheaper genuine drippers such as the Wotofo Troll, and Freakshow. If you get a good 1:1 clone by an established maker such as Ivogo or Tobecco, you are generally fine. Those clones are normally very high quality and you won't notice a huge difference with vaping them.

Postie came bearing gifts this morning. A few hours of dripping and it seems it was $7 well spent, it's a cracking little atomizer and sits nicely on the Coolfire. Built my coil first thing, prior to morning caffeine, will sort out something prettier in the near future but for now I'm a happy camper.
$IMG_20150713_115052.jpg$IMG_20150713_120841.jpg

Postie came bearing gifts this morning. A few hours of dripping and it seems it was $7 well spent, it's a cracking little atomizer and sits nicely on the Coolfire. Built my coil first thing, prior to morning caffeine, will sort out something prettier in the near future but for now I'm a happy camper.
View attachment 586495View attachment 586496

The Derringer really is terrific. Easy to build on, great flavor, good clouds. I've been toying with a dual nickel build in my Velocity. Finally nailed it down and I'm getting the best out of temp control now (I think).

I really want to try contact coils instead of standard. I read that the team at Evolv is having success with them on their DNA40.

Nice simple build, btw!

Cheers, thinking this will give me a better chance than the tanks to experiment with coils, and wicks, as I can pop it open anytime and feel a bit more free to play around.

Never heard of contact coils but found this video on youtube which helped. I'm gonna try out some different coils with the 28g kanthal I've got, now I've got enough to treat it as disposable. Different guages and nickel are on the menu soon.

Never seen the attraction of high wattage, >30w, vaping but since finding a mil or two of good quality 3mg juice and hitting it at 80w with the Derringer I can see why some people like power.....will need to start building below 0.5ohms.

Top Bottom