What's new

A Challenge to Artisan Soap Makers!!!! / Call to B&Bers!

Can you make a dark, manly rose shaving soap or cream?

A soap fragrant with the scent of mysterious spices from the bazaar’s of Central Asia and rich, exotic woods. A sea of blood red roses from a resplendent, lush valley in Morroco, Turkey or Bulgaria…with a sinister heart of darkness.

A powerful fragrance, recalling the bygone era of the Ottoman empire, when the discovery of the Rose Otto by a British fellow influenced the creation of Czech & Speake 88.

A rose that a Slovakian prince with a name like 'Vlad the Impaler' would wear to intimidate his enemies, and seduce his women.

This, I feel, is a fragrance sorely missing in the pantheon of wet shaving. The roses currently available certainly do smell sweet (3 T’s, DR Harris, Salters, etc., etc.) but imho fail to capture the masculine darkness to which I am referring. They have their place, to be sure, but again fall short.

I think the only recourse for wetshavers wishing for this kind of thing are to purchase Domenico Caraceni (discontinued), C&S 88 (smells like turpentine with too much bergamot + $36 for a puck of decent, not great soap), or to mix Trumpers rose with KMF patchouli (a decent combo).

As a benchmark for this kind of scent, I would point to Montale Black Oud.

But how to do this in a cost effective way? A way that won’t eat up your margins, or be so prohibitively expense that no one buys it?

Well, here’s one suggestion: A dash of rose EO (tiny amount, it’s $$$), Rose Geranium (cheap), Rosewood (cheap), patchouli (cheap) and black pepper (cheap).

If you really want to surprise us, you could even add a dash of rose otto, sandalwood or myrh/frankincense as well!!!! (again, with view towards costs)

Please, use only essential oils – fragrance oils tend to irritate your customers skin and we don’t want that!

Fellow B&B-ers, if you, like me crave this, please reply to this thread in the affirmative. Eventually, I believe one of our trusted vendor/artisan friends may respond!

Here’s hoping they do!

http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/Mikes_Natural_Soaps/Tallow_&_Lanolin_Hard_Bar_2.html

Straight from the Web site:
Rose & Cedarwood (FO & EO) - Victorian roses subtly accented by the warm base notes of cedarwood.

QCS also has a croap called Rose Otto.
Rose has always been a traditional scent used in masculine colognes. We use rose otto along with other distinct essential oils to create this wonderful, decidedly masculine scent. Floral and sweet, this is fit for any rose connoisseur.
http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=90

Top Bottom