What's new

8 Things You Didn’t Know About Eggnog! :

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
By MSN Food & Drink - 2 Dec 14
"The origin of the name eggnog is still somewhat of a mystery to etymologists. It’s thought that the word could be derived from noggin, the Old English word for strong beer. Others credit the name to Colonial America when colonists called thick drinks grog, and eggnog was called egg-and-grog".
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/8-things-you-didn%E2%80%99t-know-about-eggnog/ss-BBg3FpP#image=2

proxy.php

What's your favorite eggnog recipe
proxy.php

Now, I know both versions (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), eggnog can be can made from 'scratch', however the Mrs. and I prefer the ready-made versions, dilute a little with milk to thin it out slightly, tailor (OK, OK...I mean 'spike'), the strength of this drink (I think 1cup liquor per 1½qt of nog is a fair mix), mixing in rum, brandy, and/or cognac and sprinkle with fresh grated nutmeg. :thumbsup:

Any stronger and/or too many and before you know it...you're either a few shades lighter from the 'shock & awe' or a few sheets deep in
the wind.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Happy Holidays: Don't hog the nog"! Eggnog Proverb

Last edited:
I typically just have bourbon/whiskey sitting around, so I use that in my egg nog. But, perhaps a bit of brandy may be obtained for this season. :)

Eggnog is fabulous stuff. I almost always make these days because of the lighter texture. Any of it is good though. I rarely spike it though when I have I would have to say brandy was the spirit that clashed with its character the least. And no, it was not Courvoisier or anything 'good'. It was just Christian Brothers brandy from the local sin market. I don't spike heavily either. Time to get some ready.

I just finished a quart of home made virginal nog. I haven't tried adding any alcohol yet, but I only have rum and some spiced vodka I infused a bit ago. Cardamom and dates, would probably compete but, maybe I'll give it a go, anyway. Happy nog to all, and to all, a good nog!

My boss's wife mixes up a big batch every holiday season. I always get some in a really cool bottle. Great stuff, and all we need.

I can't remember the name b UT the wife and I just tried this amazing no from an independent creamery, made with grass-fed cream. Life changing. I don't drink, so no liquor, but a tasty treat like none I'd ever had. Artisan eggnog all the way!

Top Bottom