What's new

2 Serial Numbers on my Old Type

Started out with one of course, now I have more than a few Old Types. All either have one serial number or none at all.

This newer acquisition has 2 serial numbers. I haven’t run into this before and I’m a bit confused. Not only dating it, but the reason for doing this to begin with. I attempted without success to figure this one out before starting this thread, but can’t really find anything.

It has the serial numbers, G560892 and L333485. Is it a 1918 that was fixed by Gillette years later as party of a warranty service?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 20
R

romsitsa

Hello, yes it was produced in 1918 (G) and repaired somewhen (L). L was not issued as a serial, being used to mark repirs. It’s unclear to me wether this L was used from the begining to mark repaired razors or during Gillette service campaigns.

Adam

An astonishing fact that they did repairs years later. Products from a time when they were meant to last "a lifetime".

The top cap is nickel while the rest of the razor is silver plated. At first I thought the cap got lost to time and was swapped, but now I’m thinking the service might have had to do with the cap.

Top Bottom