What's new

5/8 Filarmonica #12 "Double Temple"

I have 2 #14s. They are excellent shavers with cheap yet functional scales. I have no complaints about the razor. Yes, ebay prices are high, but I will also not sell mine at any price.

Price (7): $400 on ebay at the moment. This is high, but for a razor that is out of production and in NOS condition, it is not crazy.

Craftsmanship (8): Cheap scales but it was shave ready out of the box. That is rare.

Easy to Sharpen (10): It doesn't get easier unless it is shavette.

Lasting Edge (8): I get about a month between touch-ups. That is about average for me.

Shaving Smoothness (10): Smooth as it gets.

Easy to Maintain (9): Not stainless, but other than that, easy to take care of.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I have to agree with Joel that the scales are somewhat cheap looking but mine are a very nice baby blue.

I got mine in that last rush that was at the Vintage Scent and was very happy with the service of Filipe and Bruno.

The razor. Mine is a #13, a 6/8 in blue scales. Although it was NOS it came near shave ready. I did about 50 passes on my thurigian finishing hone and did about 20 on CoOx. Stroped and lathered up.

The edge had a little bite to it. Most full hollow razors that I have tried can feel this way. After a couple of shaves I decided to touch up (or soften the edge) on a coticule. After I did that... Oh boy what a razor!!

Ohh so smooth and silky. I have tried it with a number of brush and soap/cream combinations and find that it is right up at the top of my rotation, as an awsome razor.

If you have the chance I definately recomend a Filarmonica and the Doble Temple is among the best.

displayimage.php
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Please note: This review pertains to the "New Old Stock" Filarmonica's like the one pictured above.... some retailers carry a very plain Filarmonica that I have tried, and feel is not nearly as good. YMMV

Filarmonica's, or what are commonly referred to as "Filly's" are really a hidden gem among straight razors, that have more recently been exposed. About 5 years ago, a fella was selling these razors (see above) mint in box for a very reasonable price, I knew nothing about them, so I picked a few up figuring "What the heck" and boy oh boy was I surprised.

Shaveability/honing - Tip top. There just really aren't that many straight razors that are as good, or better than a properly tuned up Filly Double Temple (from what I understand double temple means that the steel has been tempered 2x). A good Filarmonica can/will easily hang with a Thiers Issard, Double Duck, Puma, and so on and so forth, and can often be found at a much more reasonable price. If you are looking for a really superlative shaver that will provide a buttery smooth edge - look no further than a vintage Filarmonica. Filarmonica's in particular really seem to take well to Chromium Oxide paste and are just a peach to hone up.

Quality - The quality of the blade is outstanding, with a very good gold wash (as far as gold washes go) however the scales on ALL Filarmonica's I have handled have been REALLY lacking. If you are a collector - keep the cheap flimsy scales on, however if you want to make it your pride and joy, send it to Joe or Gary, and have some custom scales put on it for a reasonable price. So far as I am concerned it is far to wonderful a shaver to let it languish with its oh-so pedestrian scales, and once I get some time - I plan to sent it out and have it re-scaled.

Overall - Stop the expensive razor madness..... just stop it. There are many "reasonably priced" options out there that will perform as well, or BETTER that the highly touted (and unreasonably expensive) "super-brands." Also this Filarmonica isn't the best looking razor I own, it has a very special place in my collection, and I certainly will never consider selling it.

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW PLEASE USE THIS THREAD.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)