What's new

I'm haunted - for goodness sake!

New here, but no newbie to all this. So this is by way of a cathartic cry for help - HELP!

After years of mucking around with lesser swishers, I'm using a silvertip Kent BK8. It's wonderful, fabulous, perfect, and I abso-bloody-lutely LOVE it. Folks say it lacks backbone - what tosh. Folks say it is floppy - int ain't. For goodness sake stop saying that, you unmittigated iconoclasts. It's a man's brush, an artist's brush, a brush for grown-ups.

But here's the thing, I keep thinking about the Silvertip Chubby 2. Although only in my early seventies, I've given up morning sex with my pretty wife because I'm thinking about Chubby 2s. What's going on, eh?

This is bloody ridiculous. I think there's a case for Shaving Brush Addicts Anonymous. 'My name is Sir John, and I'm a shaving brush addict.'

Oh for god's sake!

My main point is - you'd think there would be matters of greater import than Chubby 2s to obsess about. Last evening we were eating our suppers off trays whilst watching Casablanca on TV. Yet I found I was being distracted by the thought of ordering a Chubby 2. (And they say men can't multi-task.) My wife says obsessiveness is a sign of very high intelligence, but it feels like incipient madness to me. Maybe the problem has always been latent in me. As a frighteningly broke undergraduate student I used to obsess about having enough money to order spaghetti bolognese in the Italian bistro I passed every day. Later, it was clocks, and Mont Blanc 146s. By comparison, Chubby 2s are an inexpensive OCD obsession.

Strangely, this brush thing is in total contrast to my general inclinations at this current stage of my life. I generally find myself decluttering, giving things away, pressing important possessions on my four sons - simplifying life.

Anyway, I do feel a bit better about this, having shared it.

Buy the brush. As for how many is too many...my philosophy is there is always room for one more. As far as obsessions go...in the grand scheme of things...wet shaving gear is quite inexpensive. Enjoy.

Big J.

I have, and I did. You are all a bad influence on me. Yay! Now I have to learn to play the bagpipes.

Do you know, there are chaps out there who are REALLY fixated on Sewing Machines. I mean, how bloody sad can a man be?

SJ.

Sir John, there are chaps out there fixated on vacuum cleaners, women's shoes, and golf, for goodness sakes. Your malady is perfectly normal, old boy. Enjoy your brush.

No, Bob. With luck you can look forward to high blood pressure, a bad back, prunes, hearing aids, cataracts, and more! Or so I've heard. :)

First of all, glad to hear you bought the brush! As my wife says, those things are a lot less money than a sports car.

I have the hearing aids. Cataract surgery is not quite here yet. It's coming though. My back requires more care and thought before going into potentially abusive activities. Blood pressure is great. Heart rate is superb, and prunes are not needed. So, all in all, it could be lots worse.

Bob L.

I must admit, I'm buying the sports car too - a little Merc., (because she'll look good in it, I said).

Now watching for the 'Chubby postman.' Feeling too suggestible, and a bit pathetic, but I expect I'll learn to live with it.

My deepest thanks for the shoves in the wrong direction. I might have vacillated for weeks. You are all very bad people.

My deepest thanks for the shoves in the wrong direction. I might have vacillated for weeks. You are all very bad people.
Welcome to the madhouse Sir John! :biggrin1:

You sound like JUST the sort of chap we need to join us at the BOSC. Mind you, I suspect that you may need a little more time and posts here to be allowed into the hallowed halls of the Clubs and Brotherhoods sub-forum. Congratulations on your Chubby (whenever it arrives). :thumbup1:

upload_2017-11-19_22-43-0.png
:letterk1: :laugh:

Sounds like Sir John will fit in just fine!

Now Sir John - Have you ever thought about using a straight razor?

Gentlemen:

Yes, well. It would be useful to discover essential sources of discouragement. This REALLY has to stop. I'm currently outfitting my four sons: my impeccable rationale being that if they have to do it themselves they'll get caught up in this barking addiction, and waste even more time and money than me. They need to get on with their lives, rather than be distracted.

Straight razor? Yes, I was thus shaving for a few months, and was passably capable. I do prefer DE. But I don't collect (much) I shave.

I expect to change addictions quite soon.

Do address me as John. In these accursed and distressing Corbynist times, only the servants and gardeners address me as Sir John.

J.

John,

I congratulate you on your Chubby and your choice of on-line amusement. If you are serious about 'essential sources of discouragement,' be appraised that at the other end of the scale from the BOSCers and their ilk . . . er . . . I mean 'their fine members,' there are the Minimalists, who are encouraging about the joys of a fine shave but are not obsessive collectors.

Spike:

Could a man with three expensive brushes, and (er) 'more than one' razor ever possibly qualify as a minimalist? I think the other seventy-three of each in my head would, in any case, disqualify me from any assembly of wet shavers outside the madhouse.

Anyway, having been advised by Macfrommichigan of their existence, I'm hoping to get into the vacuum cleaner fraternity soon. Those beauties can be plugged into wall sockets, like all proper obsessions.

J.

A good question. Intention is 90% of our ethos. I am in the strange position of having three razors at the moment, but I'll settle on the best and pass on the others soon. I have more or less harnessed my soap acquisition disorder - I actually still have 5, but I'm not looking or buying anymore.

I am looking forward to waking up to the best combination for myself every morning . . .

The bk8 is a sexy brush. I almost ordered a 12 and a 8 but shot off an email to Rudy Vey for some custom brushes.

As for the sewing machines...they u are enablers. I bought my wife a nice machine and love what she can do with it. Makes me wish I would have learned. Also, the potential for making small leather goods gets me excited.

The bk8 is a sexy brush. I almost ordered a 12 and a 8 but shot off an email to Rudy Vey for some custom brushes.

As for the sewing machines...they u are enablers. I bought my wife a nice machine and love what she can do with it. Makes me wish I would have learned. Also, the potential for making small leather goods gets me excited.

Oh dear. I must be a very sad sort, because I have sewing machines, too. A home one, and a commercial powerhouse. They're easy to learn, and I make all sorts of things. Turning collars makes me feel thrifty in this throwaway society.

Top Bottom