What's new

Gold Dollar W59

Does look cool but I have heard others say it will have honing problems so Idk
I heard a few guys complaining about them but this isn't the only razor shaped like this. Now to hone anything you have to find a way to get the edge heel to toe. That's any razor. Lots of vintages or customs have similar shapes. Guess what? They will be honed exactly the same. Is it hard to hone? No.

I heard a few guys complaining about them but this isn't the only razor shaped like this. Now to hone anything you have to find a way to get the edge heel to toe. That's any razor. Lots of vintages or customs have similar shapes. Guess what? They will be honed exactly the same. Is it hard to hone? No.

Eh you can hone an axe and shave with that if you wanted to, doesn't make it practical though. Not saying it is bad razor but you get what you pay for. Cool for the price I will say though

I see Amazon has a zy that looks similar for a bit more money. It says you can have your logo etched on the blade. Hmm...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So these are starting to bubble up into the marketplace then...
...Now that point is muted this really really is a very nice shaver indeed and that point comes in useful for trimming under the nostrils and round tricky parts of the jawline.
Excellent shaving:
IMG_9177.JPG

The razor looks big, but narrow. Anyone check the bevel angle? I don't put much stock (lol) in a bevel angle's impact on a shave, but I'm curious.
I invested in some digital calipers and the did some measurements.
The spine maximum width is approx 4.6mm and the centreline perpendicular from the widest point of the spine to the edge is approx 18mm which gives a bevel angle somewhere just under 15 deg.
Ha ha - SHAVES GREAT THOUGH!!

Wow. 15 degrees! I've heard some of the naysayers say that GD steel can't handle that and that's why they are 19 degree factory. Another myth down the toilet. Lol. I hear there are some more new styles in the pipeline. Seems to me they are getting aggressive with new styles and fit and finish. We shall see though. The newest gds from Amazon are all no stabilizer and sit flat on the hone.

I invested in some digital calipers and the did some measurements.
The spine maximum width is approx 4.6mm and the centreline perpendicular from the widest point of the spine to the edge is approx 18mm which gives a bevel angle somewhere just under 15 deg.
Ha ha - SHAVES GREAT THOUGH!!
Very interesting! Thanks for taking the time and responding.

So these are starting to bubble up into the marketplace then...
...Now that point is muted this really really is a very nice shaver indeed and that point comes in useful for trimming under the nostrils and round tricky parts of the jawline.
Excellent shaving:
I'd have muted the point as well; It looked, well, pointed....

Either way, it's gonna be interesting to see how these newer GDs start taking shape in the overall marketplace.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow. 15 degrees! I've heard some of the naysayers say that GD steel can't handle that and that's why they are 19 degree factory. Another myth down the toilet. Lol. I hear there are some more new styles in the pipeline. Seems to me they are getting aggressive with new styles and fit and finish. We shall see though. The newest gds from Amazon are all no stabilizer and sit flat on the hone.

That is actually 14.6 degrees, assuming accurate measurement. Vicious. Surprised it holds up, but I have thinned the GD66 down to nearly 15 degrees without the edge toppling. I seem to have best results at a bit over 16 degrees, myself. Okay, so the bevel angle is "too acute". Easily fixed, if that seems to be an issue. Just hone with taped spine for a decade or two and it will naturally wear in to a more conventional bevel angle. You can also of course just tape the last dozen laps of the finish, for a compound bevel. Sometimes that helps. You could also "fix" it all at once, taping the spine, then honing with extra pressure on the edge, on a 200 grit or so diamond plate, stopping just shy of 16 degrees and then gently progressing to the finish with no tape. But if it is honing okay and shaving nicely, maybe there is no need to bother.

When I saw the OP's pic, I thought that looked mightly slim. I think the raissermeissers in Ningbo heard some guys were bitching about the thick spines on the GD razors, so they decided to make some thinner ones, without really investigating, calculating, or engineering an ideal solution. So, they went a little overboard. Seems to have worked out okay, though. I wouldn't mind having a go at one of them some day.

I got to say though, that I am a bit put off by the juvenile "kewl" styling. Looks like it was made to sell to 18yo GIs on their first liberty off base, or no-life gamers who live on Domino's, Dr. Pepper, and raw cookie dough. But of course that doesn't mean it can't shave good.

Looking forward to seeing more bought and tried reviews. I think it deserves our attention, for the moment.

I have ordered the GD W-59. And yes...because it looks cool. :001_rolle And I will probably blunt the tip as well. The new GD series can be purchased at Fendrihan.ca

I have ordered the GD W-59. And yes...because it looks cool. :001_rolle And I will probably blunt the tip as well. The new GD series can be purchased at Fendrihan.ca
I really want a W60 now but there seems to be no way to obtain one in UK...yet.

Okay, so the bevel angle is "too acute". Easily fixed, if that seems to be an issue. Just hone with taped spine for a decade or two and it will naturally wear in to a more conventional bevel angle.
Actually Just honing with one layer of tape would make the bevel angle 15.8 degrees. No need to hone for decades. I like acute bevel angles around 15 so I would try the 14.6 without tape.

That’s like an imitation of something out of Sheffield in the 1870’s!
These new GD models are really quite imaginative and exciting...
I hear they’re a very limited edition - I was told 80! Can that be right?
Anyway watch this space :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine them making that few. But we will see. I think these will all end up on Amazon. I saw a pic of this one.next to a stock 208. The belly on this one looks close to 8/8. Unless the pic was off. I will past when I get mine. Soon I suppose.

Top Bottom