What's new

Nailed my first jnat edge today!

I have been trying to learn my Okudo Asagi jnat that I purchased a while back with mixed results- this weekend I was persistent and rewarded with a spectacular shave!

The razor is a really hollow Kabeso Solingen 13/16 the edge flexes like tin foil.

The key was managing pressure- or rather lack thereof. I kept honing behind the edge and was getting frustrated. After I lightened up it all fell in place.

I am sure there is still room for improvement but to me this is a thing of beauty :)

proxy.php

Congrats on the progress! Nailing the edge on such a stone is rewarding. Can you tell us about your process in setting the initial bevel? Also tell us about the method you use to determine when the bevel is set to your liking before you continue honing.

Congrats on the progress! Nailing the edge on such a stone is rewarding. Can you tell us about your process in setting the initial bevel? Also tell us about the method you use to determine when the bevel is set to your liking before you continue honing.

Thank you. Here is some more information on the process I use at the moment:

Initial bevel set on a Shapton Pro 1.5k using circles in sets of 20 then x strokes. I use the cherry tomato test to see if I have a cutting edge from heel to toe. If I do, then I take my 30x lighted loupe and look straight down on the apex to see if I can see any reflection. In the case of this razor there was reflection on the top half inch of the edge so I knew I had more work to do. I worked on that part of the blade then ran x strokes to make sure the edge was joined.

I use a 30x/60x lighted loupe to view the bevel and a handheld lighted 120x pocket microscope to make sure the edge is straight and to see if I am polishing out the striations as I go on to higher grits. I try to make sure that I look at the entire edge both sides to make sure I am polishing out the scratches from the lower stones and not missing any chips, etc. I recently invested a whopping #30 on a usb microscope so I could post pictures and get feedback and also to see if there is anything I missed with the other magnification methods. I have learned the hard way that if the bevel is not set the razor won't shave no matter how pretty the bevel looks from the side.

I ran progression up to 8k Shapton Pro then finished on my Jnat with DN slurry then Tomo slurry until I got the classic uniform hazy edge.

Congrats. Be careful though, those JNATs are addictive. I find myself buying more razors just so I can hone more often.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I like your use of optics when bevel setting. Smart. Congrats on finding your groove with the jnat!

I the beginning I was very heavy handed so now my honing mantra is less pressure-- more patience.
I also applaud you for the use of magnification as a bench microscope has helped me in honing more than I can say.
Congratulations on a worthy goal met, now keep honing and learn learn learn!

"I have been trying to learn my Okudo Asagi jnat that I purchased a while back with mixed results- this weekend I was persistent and rewarded with a spectacular shave!""

Congratulations over and over again

I the beginning I was very heavy handed so now my honing mantra is less pressure-- more patience.
I also applaud you for the use of magnification as a bench microscope has helped me in honing more than I can say.
Congratulations on a worthy goal met, now keep honing and learn learn learn!

The microscope is a very handy tool for sure.

Alex

Top Bottom