What's new

It finally happened

A temporary lapse in focus, combined with some overconfidence, led to my 1st nice sized cut. It happened during the 1st pass, and a quick rinse cleaned up the blood. But at that point, my shave was nowhere near acceptable, and by the time I went to re-lather for the 2nd pass, there was more. I lathered over it, but it didn't feel right mentally. In my head, I was smearing bloody lather all over my face. I used an alum block post shave, and noticed it closed the cut up pretty quickly. Everything I've read suggests the alum block is a post shave product, but it made me wonder what would have happened if I used the alum after the 1st pass, let it dry, rinsed, and then re-lathered? I don't plan on slicing my face purposely to try it out, but in the event it does happen again, I'd like to know the best way to handle it... Has anyone used alum during a shave? If so, what were your results? Does it have any effect on latherability?

Sorry to hear of this. It's one of those "off" days I suppose. In hindsight what contributed to this? In a hurry? Change some element of the routine perhaps? Or just an inexplicable gaff?

I've had a few nicks, but nothing really bad. I use a styptic pencil by Clubman for cuts. Works great. No experience with alum though.

All of us have had this happen. A careless application of razor to face and BAM, a nice laceration!

I never apply alum or styptic during a shave. I figure the clotting action of the blood is sufficient until I am done. Then it's styptic.

Hope this helps and keep shaving. It only gets better.

Generally happens to me when I'm thinking about something else.
There's really nothing like a DE razor blade to concentrate one's attention! At least around the house.....

I got cocky about my 3rd week into using a DE razor. I took a really nice chunk out of my upper lip. Ouch! I felt like I used up half of my alum trying to stop the bleeding.

Joe

Sorry to hear of this. It's one of those "off" days I suppose. In hindsight what contributed to this? In a hurry? Change some element of the routine perhaps? Or just an inexplicable gaff?

Wasn't in a hurry, did my normal prep, and had no distractions. Thinking it was just an "off" day. I took my mind off what I was doing (out of comfort I guess) for a second, and that's all it took.

All of us have had this happen. A careless application of razor to face and BAM, a nice laceration!

I never apply alum or styptic during a shave. I figure the clotting action of the blood is sufficient until I am done. Then it's styptic.

Hope this helps and keep shaving. It only gets better.

Thanks! Sounds like styptic is way to go when it comes to cuts.

Have used styptic to stop blood during a shave and the alum. For me the styptic worked best. Just let it do its thing then cleaned up and back to the shave. Keeping your face is a much better and acceptable thing than a close shave. Just my 2 cents.

Styptic is great for larger cuts while alum works on the small ones and weepers. To me, Styptic stings more. I'm glad I rarely have to use it. Since I'm learning straights, it is on the counter during those shaves 'just in case.'

The last good cut I had had me holding a piece of toilet paper against it for a few minutes. And the mark it left took a week to clear up.

I just bought a box of styptic matches. looks like cigarette matches 20 little sticks to a pack. 24 packs to a box on amazon. $styptic matches 001.jpg damn site better than dropping the pencil and watching it break $8.75 for 480 sticks.

As weird as it sounds, I usually just lather over the blood as long as I'm not really leaking and styptic pencil it when all is said and done.

If I get a cut while still finishing a shave, I'll finish the pass and then rinse off the lather with cold water. Depending on the size of the cut the cold water helps close smaller cuts. Regardless, I'll relather over the cut being very careful around it during the rest of the shave. Then cold water again and alum. There's a styptic pencil nearby if necessary.

Top Bottom