What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Where do you find blades for a Durham?
Or do you have to hone old ones?

you can get persona pathology blades but you have to buy a hundred, and you have to be a business. I thought I saw a post in this thread about another blade, but not sure...

Hey! You're right.
I think it mentions this in the DD advertising, and close inspection reveals a curve in the bevel.
The modern Dog Dresser, Ever Ready and carpet blades all seem to be flat ground, but I'm not sure I notice a difference - every shave I've had with the DD has been super smooth and I guess that with the blade guard ( like the Schick injectors) it's perfect head geometry that does the magic :)
Those DD blades are awesome.
Couldn't get a good shot of the bevel on my phone, but here's a picture anyway:

I think the blade guard is what made this such a popular razor, any one could shave with it, and the guard makes it almost impossible to hurt yourself.
I have my daddy-in-law's DD, one from a friends father, about 5 others, with all the models, even a silver plated model.
Excellent razor.
Bil

I got a Tuckmar shavette in a lot of straight edge razors. I'll be using that while I restore the straights.

$IMG_0309.jpg$IMG_0310.jpg

Rico

I finally got around to trying out the Kee shavette last night.

I loaded up an Astra blade, tried again unsuccessfully to create a good lather with my Stirling soap (I'll get it someday!) and saved it with a blob of Proraso blue. As I'm not working today and my shaving area is reduced due the Movember 'tache, I just did one pass. Still a very good shave. The weight of the razor is nice, and for the first time it gave me a better shave than my first shave with the Universal shavette.

Who else bought these? Any thoughts, gents?

I finally got around to trying out the Kee shavette last night.

I loaded up an Astra blade, tried again unsuccessfully to create a good lather with my Stirling soap (I'll get it someday!) and saved it with a blob of Proraso blue. As I'm not working today and my shaving area is reduced due the Movember 'tache, I just did one pass. Still a very good shave. The weight of the razor is nice, and for the first time it gave me a better shave than my first shave with the Universal shavette.

Who else bought these? Any thoughts, gents?

I shaved with my Kee shavette today, it was a great shave. Earlier I did have to "rework" the razor a bit by deburring parts of the shavette, including the jimps on the tang and edges that might have come into contact with my face. After that I have been left with a very nice razor.

I love the weight of the razor, I also love the thickness of the tang which in my opinion allows for a more comfortable/safe grip.

I really like it Brian, although I have only shaved with a parker and one other shavette so my opinion might be short-sighted?

Hmmm, I didn't bother with deburring mine. To be honest I didn't give it any thought, I just loaded up and went to work.

Compared to the Parker you've used, the Kee probably feels much more substantial in your hands. Having used a few Feathers, Kais, a cjB, some Parkers, Sanguine, Universal, and now the Kee (I still have a cheap Sextoblade that I have no blades for!), I still couldn't choose a favourite. The Sanguine and CJB were passed on and sold respectively. I also sold the Feather ac SS but kept the RG (it went unsold). It wasn't because I didn't like them, because once I got used to them I was able to get great shaves from them all.
Sometimes I just feel like using something different. If you forced me to choose I'd put my Kais top of the heap, but I still really like the Kee.

I shaved with my Kee shavette today, it was a great shave. Earlier I did have to "rework" the razor a bit by deburring parts of the shavette, including the jimps on the tang and edges that might have come into contact with my face. After that I have been left with a very nice razor.

I love the weight of the razor, I also love the thickness of the tang which in my opinion allows for a more comfortable/safe grip.

I really like it Brian, although I have only shaved with a parker and one other shavette so my opinion might be short-sighted?

I also sold the Feather ac SS but kept the RG (it went unsold). It wasn't because I didn't like them, because once I got used to them I was able to get great shaves from them all.

I'm actually thinking of picking up the Feather ac SS for my 2nd shavette (currently using the Bluebeard's revenge with Feather DE blades).
I love the design of the Feather ac.
I'm really new to the world of shavettes and straight razors and have read every post of this thread and can say this place is truly addictive lol.

If you like the look of them you definitely should. For the price difference I would personally recommend the RG over the SS though. Whichever one you choose will soon become your 1st (choice) shavette and relegate the BB to 2nd!

I'm actually thinking of picking up the Feather ac SS for my 2nd shavette (currently using the Bluebeard's revenge with Feather DE blades).
I love the design of the Feather ac.
I'm really new to the world of shavettes and straight razors and have read every post of this thread and can say this place is truly addictive lol.

If you like the look of them you definitely should. For the price difference I would personally recommend the RG over the SS though. Whichever one you choose will soon become your 1st (choice) shavette and relegate the BB to 2nd!

I really prefer the look of the SS. The price difference between the SS and the RG here in Holland is 85 euros (the SS sells at 135 and the RG for 220) so I think the difference is too steep.
Thanks for the advice though Brian.

Last edited:
Clocked up another shave with the Kee 80 shavette. Really nice shave, zero cuts, irritation and a great finish. I will shave with my parker shavette tomorrow so I can try and draw some sort of comparison.

As a general question; does anyone notice any difference between the parker "R" series and the parker push type series shavettes?

I managed a great result with the CJB and a Feather Pro blade. My first try with that combo was a bit... rough. lol Many nicks and a couple slices. I managed to dial back the pressure even more this time, and that was the trick. Really fun and inexpensive shavette.

today, another shave with the Feather AC DX and Proguard blade (#5?)
totally smooth; only needed one pass for a single day's growth, plus a second pass just on the neck bottom.
zero irritation.
the tobs avocado made things even better. not to mention, dos equis.

View attachment 388470

Top Bottom