What's new

brush quality

hey everyone, i was just wondering what the difference is between my $13 tweezerman badger hair brush and those more expensive badger hair brushes? theyre made from the same stuff, thanks to everyone in advance!

The expensive badgers are unionized. Also: better hair quality (softer), better quality (less hairloss, hopefully), natural tips not machine-clipped, denser knot. And often a much nicer handle. Principally, you can lather up with the cheap one just like with the more expensive one, but the more expensive one might feel and look a lot nicer.

From my rather limited experience--only about 12 brushes--higher quality hair feels softer. Higher quality hair also tends to hold more water, but not always. My wettest brush is mid range, but it's far from the softest. There's many other issues, like hair thickness & how tight the hairs are, better manufacturing techniques & quality, handle materials, etc.

The expensive badgers are unionized. Also: better hair quality (softer), better quality (less hairloss, hopefully), natural tips not machine-clipped, denser knot. And often a much nicer handle. Principally, you can lather up with the cheap one just like with the more expensive one, but the more expensive one might feel and look a lot nicer.

Yes. Those Teamster Badgers are an expensive and unruly bunch.

$badger.jpg

i did notice a few hairs on my bowl... ill have to look into a more high quality brush for when this one gets worn out.

i did notice a few hairs on my bowl... ill have to look into a more high quality brush for when this one gets worn out.

Any brush will lose some hair in the beginning (with the exception of synthetic ones). However, that kind of shedding ought to stop after a couple uses. I had two Muehle ones that wouldn't stop shedding; they weren't even the cheapest ones. IMHO the capacity to keep its hair is a sign of quality in a brush (not so in men, however...)

Round Steak and Porterhouse are made of the same stuff, too. But the stuff comes from a different part of the cow and it cuts better, cooks better, and tastes better. Likewise, the badger hair in a quality brush is handled different, comes from a different place and is of a different quality.

If you never taste a Porterhouse and live on Round Steak, you'll never know any better and it won't matter. But once you eat a Porterhouse, that Round Steak just isn't gonna cut it anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom