What's new

What soap would you buy if you didn't have so many?

Hear me out here...Williams Mug Soap. I’ve been watching much love and much hate directed at it in another thread. It occurred to me in all my years of shaving I’ve never actually tried it. It’s cheap enough I can probably justify the purchase even though I already have a bunch of soaps and creams I’m trying to winnow down to seven.

This
1_SI RGB Shaving Cream 75 ml Tube-scr.jpg

I don't have as many as most B&B members (only six: La Toja, Couto, Nivea, Tabac, Cella, Cremo) but these are enough for the time being.

Mdc Rose and Mdc Fougere
Any A&E to try it
Maybe PAA Cavendish because it's no 1 of my buddy @Chard52142
Ahahahaha...thanks buddy! It's my number 1 not only because of the scent and performance but also due to the long way I have to get both in my hand. I bought it from the UK and have to wait for someone coming back from there to my place as aftershave can't be ship. No regrets though...very glad to get both. I use it sparingly...

I just received soaps from the UK and Italy....so am satisfied for now, however, if there's a Black Friday deal like last year...these are my next soap to try...
More Stirling (Haverford for sure)
Henry Et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Some Zingari samples
Some Wholly Kaw samples

I just received soaps from the UK and Italy....so am satisfied for now, however, if there's a Black Friday deal like last year...these are my next soap to try...
More Stirling (Haverford for sure)
Henry Et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars
Some Zingari samples
Some Wholly Kaw samples
It seems you’re keen to try tobacco scented soaps. I own Haverford, Henri Et Victoria C&C & recommend Zingari The Soloist
( tobacco to my nose). As another suggestion try Crowne & Crane Tobacco & Amber leaf. It smells like tobacco curing in a barn.

It seems you’re keen to try tobacco scented soaps. I own Haverford, Henri Et Victoria C&C & recommend Zingari The Soloist
( tobacco to my nose). As another suggestion try Crowne & Crane Tobacco & Amber leaf. It smells like tobacco curing in a barn.
Wow...thanks! I do love nice tobacco especially aromatic cigars and pipes. Among the Haverford, Henri Et Victoria C&C & recommend Zingari The Soloist, which is your favorite? I can only choose what Maggard stock up because their shipping to my place is the most affordable. So, my choices tend to be from Maggard stocks.

How do you keep all your soaps from not losing their scent and not get that old stale smell? Thank you in advance!
I used a brand new jar of Stirling executive man today I had for a yr and the scent was gone and smelled old .
I have 4 tubs, (down from 6), of Stirling in my rotation and 2 of them are from 2016, 1 from 2017, and 1 from 2018 and they all smell exactly the same as they did when I received them. I keep them in the bathroom cabinet and just make sure the lids are secured after use is all. I had a samples of Executive Man and Sharp Dressed Man and to be honest, neither had a very strong scent to them at all to me... At least compared to Spice, Noir, Bay Rum or Sandpiper to name a few. I am working my way through the 4 I have before adding anymore as I just can't decide what to get next!!

Thank you for the advice @muzichead I will try it out.
I was asking because Groomatorium have a 35% sale right now on a few Stirling soaps I was thinking of getting some more. About $8.50 for 5.8ozs too good for me to pass up.

How do you keep all your soaps from not losing their scent and not get that old stale smell? Thank you in advance!
I used a brand new jar of Stirling executive man today I had for a yr and the scent was gone and smelled old .
The only soap that goes off is Cella, it's a shame. Maybe it needs to be kept in the fridge. It was fine in the spring but is now a brown colour...

Wow...thanks! I do love nice tobacco especially aromatic cigars and pipes. Among the Haverford, Henri Et Victoria C&C & recommend Zingari The Soloist, which is your favorite? I can only choose what Maggard stock up because their shipping to my place is the most affordable. So, my choices tend to be from Maggard stocks.
It would be very difficult for me to select a tobacco scented favorite. I didn’t know your choices were limited to Maggard Razors because of the international shipping.
Zingari THE SOLOIST is a West Coast Shaving exclusive.
Therefore you might want to check out at Maggard's in addition to the already listed tobacco scented soaps the Ariana & Evans offerings like tobacco et vanilla and choco cubano. Also they sell Declaration Grooming Massacre of The Innocents which has strong tobacco IMHO.

ToBs Tobacco Leaf.

More a matter of not having the money Chisleled Face Civet and Grooming Dept Chypre Peach (when it was available).

Definitely CRSW SCHAPENMELK.
I have been rather keen on finding another Schafmilch-esque mutton soap ever since Haslinger ruined theirs

As of today, I have two primary soaps, and several samples for a bit of variety. However, I've just (today) ordered a few different soaps and a cream, none of which get much airtime on here, to provide that variety instead of the samples. In total, those products will probably add around three years worth of shaves to what I already had.

Rather than specify brands etc, I'll tell you what I looked for in in terms of characteristics of those products.

• I wanted slickness without "protection". I'm not a fan of dense lathers. If a soap provides a protective barrier, numbing shave feel etc, it's stopping me doing my job properly.
  • I wanted products which would leave my skin happy, without the need for post shave products. Some have lanolin, others a range of beneficial oils, but none should be drying or clogging, particularly in my preference of lather consistency. I think if a soap leaves you needing to follow up with something else, it's only doing half the job it could be doing.
  • I wanted affordability. That doesn't necessarily mean cheap, but I won't take a gamble on the higher priced items, in terms of performance, or spoiling before the product is finished. It's important for me to feel like I'm getting good value, and all the samples I've tried of the higher end products don't justify their costs in my opinion/experience. My choices were between 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of Saponificio Veryspendy ;)
  • I wanted to break from the confines of highly recognisable brands, and not be blinkered by the online "product placement" of the big names. Not necessarily avoid the well known offerings, but don't restrict my choices to them, just because they're popular with others (I'm shaving my face, not theirs)
  • I wanted moderate scent levels. Strongly scented soaps don't enhance my shaves, they distract my attention away from where it should be. A similar complaint to what I have with "protective" soaps. I want my awareness of the sharp blade on my face to be unimpaired. That's highly important for me to ensure a great irritation free shave.
  • Zero menthol. That stuff doesn't agree with me. Think minor chemical burns.

My original two soaps will still be my primaries, but these few additions should (hopefully) give me the above characteristics I desire from a lather, and serve as enough diversity to keep monotony at bay, stop me wanting to buy any more until something runs out. What they actually are is largely irrelevant, as most people seem to be looking for something different to me in their lather.
I’ve read a few descriptions about your shave process on different threads, and I am very interested. I’d love to see you make a video of how you do everything in your shave routine.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’ve read a few descriptions about your shave process on different threads, and I am very interested. I’d love to see you make a video of how you do everything in your shave routine.

Thanks for the interest, but filming myself shaving is not something I'd ever be interested in doing.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I understand that, I feel the same way. Have you posted any of your shave routine on B&B or elsewhere? If so could you provide the link? If not, would you be open to posting it?

I have a shave journal, if that helps...

... lots of photos and discussion, successes and failures, and other random gibberish in there.

Thank you for the advice @muzichead I will try it out.
I was asking because Groomatorium have a 35% sale right now on a few Stirling soaps I was thinking of getting some more. About $8.50 for 5.8ozs too good for me to pass up.
Dang, thanks for the heads up. They're out of stock of my favorite (Ozark Mountain), but I got 4 of my other favorites. I'm a price/oz. nerd, and $1.63/oz including shipping is great.

OMG I have so many soaps I want to try, but I just can't justify buying more right now. I already have a lifetime supply of soap as it is. But I'd love to try more of Soapy Science's line up, Castle Forbes (really like to try their lime), and I'd love to try everything Stirling and Captain's Choice make (especially their Bay Rums).

Top Bottom