What's new

Need can opener recommendation.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I haven't been having very good luck with simple hand held can openers lately, so I thought this would be a great place to ask.
All I need is something that's not going to wear out in less then a month or two, as has been my experience lately.
Something basic in the $20 or less price range?

2-1/2 years ago I took a chance on an EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Can Opener I found on Amazon. I use it often and it still works wonderfully.

Nothing fancy just a beefy version of the can opener that was screwed to the door jam of my mother's kitchen in the 60's and 70's, As a bonus it's American made.

P.S. Apparently there is a 'new version', I have the old version.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
2-1/2 years ago I took a chance on an EZ-DUZ-IT Deluxe Can Opener I found on Amazon. I use it often and it still works wonderfully.

Nothing fancy just a beefy version of the can opener that was screwed to the door jam of my mother's kitchen in the 60's and 70's, As a bonus it's American made.

P.S. Apparently there is a 'new version', I have the old version.
Thank you, I'll check that one out!
I also remember those can openers from back then, they seemed to last forever.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My folks had the wall mounted Swing-A-Way back in the sixties. I've got the sit in a drawer version as backup for power failures. Seems as well built as the ancient version.
I wish they still made those.

We have a good electric side opener one. The ez duz it is a good one , used one before. I prefer manual ones. Find a Shelby p38 or bigger p40 can opener as a back up as well. Love them.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
We have a good electric side opener one. The ez duz it is a good one , used one before. I prefer manual ones. Find a Shelby p38 or bigger p40 can opener as a back up as well. Love them.
Good idea for the back up openers, I ordered a four pack of Shelby p51 just now.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have an old Ekco Miracle Can Opener from when I was a kid that still works like a champ. But it's only been a couple of years since I was a kid. :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have an old Ekco Miracle Can Opener from when I was a kid that still works like a champ. But it's only been a couple of years since I was a kid. :)

BS.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My mistake I had the wrong nomenclature.
I didn't even think that, I just figured they only had the p38 and p51 in stock, or perhaps the p40 was no longer sold.
By the way, thanks again for the tip, I hadn't even thought of those as a backup. 😀

You can't go wrong with a vintage Swing-a-Way, wall-mount or hand-held. They're built like a tank and virtually indestructible.
I can't speak to the new ones though, probably made in China.
They used to make a left-handed version ages ago, but finding any left-handed opener to-day will be a challenge.
I could not recommend any electric. I find them to be a study in frustration.

I purchased this little beauty about a decade ago. Fabulous, nothing else required.
nogent-super-kim-can-opener.jpg

It opens huge and tiny cans with ease, leaving NO SHARP EDGES anywhere.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thanks to all for the suggestions, I went with an OXO, and a 4 pack of the Shelby p51 openers for back up.😁

Top Bottom