What's new

Maggard V3A: Just Amazing

First, a shout-out to @brvisco for this most generous of PIF's. It's been said the best things in life are free, in this particular case, I'm in full agreement!

I've been wet-shaving since January 2019 and have only used 2 razors: a cheap VDH TTO which didn't last long, and my trusty Maggard V3 with the lovely and utilitarian MR1 handle, which I've been using since February. I've only used a handful of blades: Astra SP, Feather, Personna Blue, Rapira SS, and my ultimate go to: the Voskhod. While other blades may have been sharper in the V3, they always irritated, cut, or annoyed me in some way. The Voskhod was the best of the lot. I always had some minor tugging and had to go over the same spot in the toughest area of my chin but ultimately, I had a pretty good shave routine down with no blood. Using lightly mentholated soaps and pre-shave like Proraso, left my face feeling amazing within 10 minutes of the shave. I was on the fence about the RR Game Changer because I wanted better blade alignment, stainless steel, and a smoother shave. Well after using the V3A for the first time this morning, I am done looking for razors, for now at least!

The V3A blade gap, exposure, and angle are all more aggressive than the V3 and for these reasons, I was absolutely terrified to try it because I have very sensitive skin combined with dense/wiry stubble and am very prone to cuts and irritation. But boy, am I glad I did. I had zero tugging/pulling, and every place except for the toughest place, my chin, were one single stroke and done. I had one of those is this thing cutting? moments I always read about and had to check that the blade was in fact actually cutting. I had zero redness and irritation during the shave and after my cold water rinse, my face felt like a million dollars. I've read some say the V3A and a Voskhod are a magic combination. I can confirm this statement. This particular V3A has perfect blade alignment as well, no matter how sloppily I throw a blade in and lock it down. My V3 has horrible alignment and was always a chore to load a new blade into. I'm sure all these units have lots of variation but I hit the jackpot on this V3A. Thank you @brvisco!

First, a shout-out to @brvisco for this most generous of PIF's. It's been said the best things in life are free, in this particular case, I'm in full agreement!

I've been wet-shaving since January 2019 and have only used 2 razors: a cheap VDH TTO which didn't last long, and my trusty Maggard V3 with the lovely and utilitarian MR1 handle, which I've been using since February. I've only used a handful of blades: Astra SP, Feather, Personna Blue, Rapira SS, and my ultimate go to: the Voskhod. While other blades may have been sharper in the V3, they always irritated, cut, or annoyed me in some way. The Voskhod was the best of the lot. I always had some minor tugging and had to go over the same spot in the toughest area of my chin but ultimately, I had a pretty good shave routine down with no blood. Using lightly mentholated soaps and pre-shave like Proraso, left my face feeling amazing within 10 minutes of the shave. I was on the fence about the RR Game Changer because I wanted better blade alignment, stainless steel, and a smoother shave. Well after using the V3A for the first time this morning, I am done looking for razors, for now at least!

The V3A blade gap, exposure, and angle are all more aggressive than the V3 and for these reasons, I was absolutely terrified to try it because I have very sensitive skin combined with dense/wiry stubble and am very prone to cuts and irritation. But boy, am I glad I did. I had zero tugging/pulling, and every place except for the toughest place, my chin, were one single stroke and done. I had one of those is this thing cutting? moments I always read about and had to check that the blade was in fact actually cutting. I had zero redness and irritation during the shave and after my cold water rinse, my face felt like a million dollars. I've read some say the V3A and a Voskhod are a magic combination. I can confirm this statement. This particular V3A has perfect blade alignment as well, no matter how sloppily I throw a blade in and lock it down. My V3 has horrible alignment and was always a chore to load a new blade into. I'm sure all these units have lots of variation but I hit the jackpot on this V3A. Thank you @brvisco!

I neglected to mention I'm an every-other-day shaver and only do 2 passes and touch-ups. Never ATG. This head may be too aggressive for every-day shavers who do 3 full passes, just wanted to provide full disclosure.

Used the V3A on a Parker long stainless steel handle and it was quite enjoyable for me. I prefer the Variant but the V3A was a definite winner when I use my 3-piece razors. I pair it with the Astra SP.

I agree, the V3A/Mentor is one of those razors that has wonderful geometry. Congratulations on finding one of those great razors.

Used the V3A on a Parker long stainless steel handle and it was quite enjoyable for me. I prefer the Variant but the V3A was a definite winner when I use my 3-piece razors. I pair it with the Astra SP.

I had written off the Astra SP in the V3 but will definitely give it another chance when it's time to change blades :D

I neglected to mention I'm an every-other-day shaver and only do 2 passes and touch-ups. Never ATG. This head may be too aggressive for every-day shavers who do 3 full passes, just wanted to provide full disclosure.

Yintal makes a similar head. But it is a bit more aggressive than the V3A: the gap on the Yintal is a tiny bit wider.
No problems for me to do everyday 3 pass shaves.
And by the way for those who want that same type of head but with a smaller gap than the V3A - Yaqi has it with the smallest gap and it is not as aggressive. The BBS is not so long lasting though. Everything has its price.

I've only been wet shaving about six months (with an EJ DE89) and am really interested in trying a heavier and more aggressive razor; I'm thinking a V3A with either an MR8 or MR9 handle. The MR8 would bring it to 6.4 oz. total weight (nearly triple that of the DE89), and I'm wondering if that might be a bit much. The MR9 would end up at 4.1 oz... whaddy'a think?

I would go with the lighter setup.
That's what I was thinking, but I ordered it with the MR6 handle instead because the MR9 isn't knurled; it'll still be 70% heavier than the DE89.

And I got a sample vial of The Veg. I like durian, so maybe I'm one of the Chosen.

I would go with the lighter setup.
+1
Since you said you are wetshaving about 6 months, go for the the lightest handles. I have a 105 grams Pearl razor [=3.7 oz.] and it's okay for me. But if a had that razor say 30-35 years ago I can only image what a massacre would my shaves be then.

Man this thing's a brush hog! Now I know what you guys are talking about when you say things like "huge blade feel" - I didn't get any weepers because I was really careful, and am glad I was because otherwise I probably would have ended up a bloody mess.

With a few days growth the first pass (using a Feather) got most spots BBS. I went ATG on the second pass and it was like I'd done four passes with my EJ; irritation afterwards was comparable to my earliest days with the DE89, but I'm sure that'll improve with practice. What a beast!

I finished up with The Veg. Yeah, in the plastic sample bottle it smelled pretty bad, but a few minutes after I put it on it cleaned up very well. My wife likes it. I am one of The Chosen.

Yintal makes a similar head. But it is a bit more aggressive than the V3A: the gap on the Yintal is a tiny bit wider.

The Yintal Bronze is the one to go for IMO. The top cap and handle are made of brass. I use the top cap for my R41 and it makes a nice improvement.

Well, just don't scratch it for the sake of checking. In case I am right and it is zamak it will quickly degrade. I had one bronze, but I gave it away. Don't like the long handle. Have been using the one with the black handle for more than a year Yintal black handle razor and last month bought the all chrome one for $11. It's a beauty. What more can you ask for.

IMG_20190829_164302.jpg

Top Bottom