What's new

Hangin' at the greenhouse

I try to be an enlightened guy, really. Sensitive. However, there are a couple of places where I am just lost. First, any place which sells something called "window treatments." Heck, I didn't know our windows needed treating. Second, plant nurseries, greenhouses, farmers markets in May.

This time of year it is about spring planting. Now, do not think for a second we are talkin' 40 acres of corn or wheat. We live in a condo. Hence, this is a rosebush, a few flowers front and back, and too many potted plants, hanging plants and assorted other things I get to water daily.

It would be cheaper to plant 40 acres of field corn. Peat, peat moss, potting soil, yada, yada.

Spending an hour wandering a greenhouse while my better half ponders whether the green and purple flower needs more or less sun or if the whatsis plant might grow too tall, etc is just painful. I am only there to fetch and carry, to be a sounding board (Ha!) and to offer up a credit card. And my, is this stuff more expensive than shaving kit!

Later, of course, I get to do the hard labor, under very direct supervision.

Anyone else having this much fun?

Mac

Nope, the deer took care of that in our neighborhood. We used to spend countless hours and money on plants. That all changed a few years ago when the herds increased and started coming in from the nearby park. We tried all the sprays and finally got tired of constant applications. It's not uncommon to see 15 or 16 deer just hanging out in various areas. The cities answer is : Let's just wait and see, or as I see it, do nothing.

Not to this degree. It did occur to me that I could be a good husband next year by raising our own plants in a temporary plastic sheet greenhouse, and then my wife has all the flowers she likes right there and we don't have to shop for them at all.

I start tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff under lights, in the basement, at the end of March, so now have trays of stuff hardening off to get planted out. This coming weekend is our nursery weekend, two & a half days of running around to different places to get what we want, my wife hunts annuals for dozens of pots i'm hunting shrubs, perennials & supplies. We don't own a vehicle so for this weekend we rent a car and do everything, go everywhere we need to that requires the hauling capabilities of vehicle.

After that i get to make up the potting mix, plant the pots and everything else at my discretion, which is fine, creating a fine mess. It's the back end of the season i hate, emptying the pots, garden clean up in wet, cold, windy weather with only worse weather to look forward. Only bright spot is planting garlic for the next summer's harvest.
IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_4704.JPG

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I start tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff under lights, in the basement, at the end of March, so now have trays of stuff hardening off to get planted out. This coming weekend is our nursery weekend, two & a half days of running around to different places to get what we want, my wife hunts annuals for dozens of pots i'm hunting shrubs, perennials & supplies. We don't own a vehicle so for this weekend we rent a car and do everything, go everywhere we need to that requires the hauling capabilities of vehicle.

After that i get to make up the potting mix, plant the pots and everything else at my discretion, which is fine, creating a fine mess. It's the back end of the season i hate, emptying the pots, garden clean up in wet, cold, windy weather with only worse weather to look forward. Only bright spot is planting garlic for the next summer's harvest.
View attachment 982940 View attachment 982942
dave
The price one has to pay for good tomatoes. I need to try my hand at them next year.

It's worth it for me, this year seventeen varieties, rainbow of colours, multiple shapes, sizes, flavours, textures. Garden centers will offer the same handful of varieties year after year... unless you have some fellow adventurers selling plants. Have six new varieties for this year.

Half my plants are for us the other half i give to friends and family.

IMG_E1422_B&Bsize600.jpg
file2-2.jpeg
file2-11.jpeg

dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nope, the deer took care of that in our neighborhood. We used to spend countless hours and money on plants. That all changed a few years ago when the herds increased and started coming in from the nearby park. We tried all the sprays and finally got tired of constant applications. It's not uncommon to see 15 or 16 deer just hanging out in various areas. The cities answer is : Let's just wait and see, or as I see it, do nothing.

The city’s a bunch of poopercats.

Venison is delicious.

Nice looking tomatoes!

... and then she slapped me, Your Honour.

I try to be an enlightened guy, really. Sensitive. However, there are a couple of places where I am just lost. First, any place which sells something called "window treatments." Heck, I didn't know our windows needed treating. Second, plant nurseries, greenhouses, farmers markets in May.

This time of year it is about spring planting. Now, do not think for a second we are talkin' 40 acres of corn or wheat. We live in a condo. Hence, this is a rosebush, a few flowers front and back, and too many potted plants, hanging plants and assorted other things I get to water daily.

It would be cheaper to plant 40 acres of field corn. Peat, peat moss, potting soil, yada, yada.

Spending an hour wandering a greenhouse while my better half ponders whether the green and purple flower needs more or less sun or if the whatsis plant might grow too tall, etc is just painful. I am only there to fetch and carry, to be a sounding board (Ha!) and to offer up a credit card. And my, is this stuff more expensive than shaving kit!

Later, of course, I get to do the hard labor, under very direct supervision.

Anyone else having this much fun?

Mac

Look on the bright side. If you do a good job the wife may treat you to a craft beer and a whipped goat cheese & peach crostini. :D

The price one has to pay for good tomatoes. I need to try my hand at them next year.
Try "Sweet Million" for cherry tomatoes.
proxy.php

My Gawd, they are tasty.

Or "Lemon Boy" for larger ones.
proxy.php

My favourite for sandwiches.

Both are indeterminate varieties, so they'll keep producing until the frost kills them.

Top Bottom