What's new

First Vintage Razor Recommendations

I'm not really a collector of vintage razors, so I don't have any experience beyond Old and New types and a Goodwill that I had for a while. For your first one I would recommend the New type. They are very easy to get and the bar handles (simple design with no ball on the end) usually don't crack. The ball end handles always have small cracks near the neck, but the ones I had still functioned perfectly. Those cracks can grow and I've seen some travel the full length of the handle.

The Gillette adjustable are hard to beat. I have at least one of each of the five choices. Each has different weights and balance. With the ability to change the blade gaps, you can meet almost any skin/technique combination. Whatever you get, just enjoy the experience.

Old type Gillette was a great shaver, had trouble with my slim and mmoc, absolutely love my 1912 star/gem/ Eveready. Started with straights though.

Based on my collection and experience:

1. Rocket HD 500
2. NDC Super Speed
3. "1932" Canadian Tech
4. President
5. Fatboy

Love them all, wouldn't sell my 49 Super Speed for anything, but it turns out I prefer modern 3-piece razors.

It's like pretty much any new hobby. Start with the basics, and take it from there.

In this hobby, the basics mean a Tech and a Superspeed. There's a ton of them, cheep. Like anything vintage, look around and wait and try to score a good deal on a well-preserved example.

I’m interested in adding my first Vintage Razor (or 2 or 3 ...)
What do you have already?
There's a lot to be said for getting something completely different from what you are used to.

The only vintage razor I don't care for is a reverse-stud Goodwill. Not sure why.

I also never use my short-handled Travel Tech. It's more of a novelty item to me.

Other than those two, they're all good.

ED8A27B8-4B0D-472C-B365-F9B11DD8F84D.jpeg
My first vintage Gillette was a 1953 Canadian Tech NOS.

If you look and are patient you can find a NEW DELUXE, NEW Short Comb or a Single Ring for under $30. These are my 3 favorite razors at this time!

Tom

Super Speeds and adjustable are great razors along with others mentioned, I'm sure you'll end up with one or two eventually.

Not having experience buying a vintage razor it's easy to get one that's been damaged especially the Super Speeds and adjustables.

For this reason, I would recommend a Gillette NEW, they're easy to find and inexpensive. It's common for them to have plating issues but rarely do they have damage that they can't be used.

After you get your feet wet, you will know more about what you want. Good luck.

As you can see, there are a wide range of opinions. What is your budget? What do you currently like to shave with? What do you like about it? Use the search function & read up on the various razors mentioned. Some of my favorites:

New Deluxe
RFB
New SC
Tech (British Fat Handle or Prewar Fat Handle)
Aristocrat Jr.
Rocket HD
Red Tip

Look for a razor in nice condition for a good price. Then do some quick research to see if it’s likely to be for you.

Searching for a specific razor is a recipe for overpaying. You’ll have more luck keeping your options open, looking for a good deal, then doing 15 minutes of reading to check it’s the type of razor that would suit you before buying.

What do you have already?
There's a lot to be said for getting something completely different from what you are used to.

I'm still semi new at this but this is what I currently own (the only reason I have this many is it took awhile to find the one that worked good for me)

Merkur Futur -- this was my first razor and let's just say it wasn't the best choice for a newb. I never got comfy with it.
Edwin Jagger DE89L -- my second razor. it always seemed too mild for me
Merkur 38C -- my third and for some reason it just worked better for me over the DE89.
Parker Variant -- given to me as a gift. I like this one but it feels a little awkward in the nose area
Merkur 39C -- this is my main go to razor and it has been working best for me by far. my first major breakthrough was with this slant from the very first time used

For a vintage, I'm interested in finding one from my birth year 1963 but really any time period is fine.

I first think I’ll try to get something from my birth year, 1963, and I see a couple I2 Gillette Slim (and I3 whatever that means) on eBay that look to be in pretty nice condition listed between $45-$47 ... does that seem a fair price? (I’ll probably also look to add a fatboy because of the many favorable opinions I see here)

Look for a razor in nice condition for a good price. Then do some quick research to see if it’s likely to be for you.

Searching for a specific razor is a recipe for overpaying. You’ll have more luck keeping your options open, looking for a good deal, then doing 15 minutes of reading to check it’s the type of razor that would suit you before buying.
True but only applies to the common vintage razors (and I would assume you mean vintage). Once you look outside the the usual suspects i.e. Slim, Fatboy, SS, Tech and other common boring stuff things change drastically.

Top Bottom