What's new

Do people dress like slobs today? Or were people 100 years ago just plain and drab?

Do people dress like slobs today? Or were people 100 years ago just plain and drab?

• Most people dress poorly today

• People were just drab 75-100 years ago

• Haberdashery readers are well dressed....most everyone else is a slob

Results are only viewable after voting.
Firmly entrenched in slob culture. Bought a suit in my early twenties to wear carrying the casket of a friend. Funerals and acouple weddings would account for it's only trip out of the closet. Now i haven't even a tie and doubt there's a shirt in the closet that could be worn with one.

Clean and well fitting t-shirts and jeans but low class all the way, so low class in fact that i wash my jeans.

dave

not sure i get this.

Recently there was a thread on the forum about premium jeans that you are never to wash. Prior to that i had read a piece in Men's Health on how it was a bad idea to wash your jeans, must preserve the look.

My 'going out' jeans are standard issue 500 series Levis that either lack the secret sauce that keeps the primo jeans clean or i'm hanging out in really dirt places because my jeans do get dirty and require washing now and again.

dave

Recently there was a thread on the forum about premium jeans that you are never to wash. Prior to that i had read a piece in Men's Health on how it was a bad idea to wash your jeans, must preserve the look.

My 'going out' jeans are standard issue 500 series Levis that either lack the secret sauce that keeps the primo jeans clean or i'm hanging out in really dirt places because my jeans do get dirty and require washing now and again.

Thanks. I knew there was more to it!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Firmly entrenched in slob culture. Bought a suit in my early twenties to wear carrying the casket of a friend. Funerals and acouple weddings would account for it's only trip out of the closet. Now i haven't even a tie and doubt there's a shirt in the closet that could be worn with one.

Clean and well fitting t-shirts and jeans but low class all the way, so low class in fact that i wash my jeans.

dave
I'm a jean washing heathen, too

In my office, people have to be reminded what "business casual" is, and they will be sent home to change if they don't wear on days a client is coming into the office. Now this is something they all should have been taught day one in training - if not before. Normal attire for most people in this office is jeans and a tshirt or golf/polo shirt. For me? Slacks (Dockers or nicer) and generally a long sleeve dress shirt. Even when it 100F outside in July. Sometimes a nice golf shirt. On Friday, I usually wear jeans and a golf shirt. Never a t-shirt.

One job I had standard Men's dress code was dress slacks, collared shirt and a tie - UNLESS the shirt had a company logo, and then you could forego the tie. I had logo wear enough I could wear a different shirt - dress or polo style every day of the week and not have to wear a tie. On "dress down Friday", jeans and polo shirt. (you could wear a company logo tee in lieu of a collared shirt) I rarely wore a t. Just not how I was raised. I worked there from 1997-2004. Other places I have worked have been ties required. (this is all since the mid 1980's)

Basically I think that people expect something different today - not as formal. IBM got the nickname Big Blue not only because of colors in the logo, but because of the de facto dress code of blue suits and white shirts. Whether that is the case today or not I don't know. Expectations in the last 100 years have changed. Fabrics too. As well as heating/cooling systems. Some of what we see in photos from the 20's-30's and 40's was a function of this I imagine. Buildings could be cold and hot in the same day. Might need a jacket in the morning and rolled up sleeves in the afternoon. Customer/client expectations for dress when doing business was different as well.

Correct. Besides the logo, "Big Blue" referred to the blue suits we wore over our white shirts. IBM is now business casual in its offices. In our clients' offices we follow our clients' dress codes. Many of us work from home now, so . . . .

Correct. Besides the logo, "Big Blue" referred to the blue suits we wore over our white shirts. IBM is now business casual in its offices. In our clients' offices we follow our clients' dress codes. Many of us work from home now, so . . . .

Thanks for the clarification, Larry. Some of this I knew, some I had to use wikipedia to fill in some holes in what I had learned at some point in the past. Plus IBM is a client of the company I work for so some of this may have been learned in that transition.

Slobs , ... then there's the black brigade (all black , all the time) . Why ?

Because washing machines don't work anymore. They are designed to save water and energy which means they are unable to get most stains out. Most clothes nowadays cannot even sustain a hot water wash.

Black is a safe color. It is guaranteed to come out looking clean.

The problem today is the clothing is cheap sorry everything is cheap. nothing is made to last.as the saying goes you get what you pay for.
I buy quality yes it cost extra but it lasts. And fits better I have been known to drive a truck. 44 tons upwards wearing a shirt and tie.

As I take pride in myself and how I look. Dressed nice, smell nice, clean shaven. it all goes a long way.
yes I'm 53 years old

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Slobs , ... then there's the black brigade (all black , all the time) . Why ?
What gets me are the idiots who walk around at night wearing black. One place I drive through to get home has dimly lit streets. I can't count how many times I have almost hit someone because I didn't see them.

What gets me are the idiots who walk around at night wearing black. One place I drive through to get home has dimly lit streets. I can't count how many times I have almost hit someone because I didn't see them.

If that is true, you desperately need a car with pedestrian detection!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If that is true, you desperately need a car with pedestrian detection!
I exaggerate a bit. I do see them in time, but it does make me worry. I have been here since 1992, and it makes absolutely no sense to me why cities with populations of +30k people don't have sidewalks.

Top Bottom