What's new

Tea Anyone?

I'm not a tea guy per say, but am slowly seeing the light. Two teas have helped me understand what a proper cup should taste like.

Yin Zheng Bai Hao Jasmine Silver Needles
Zheng Shan Lapsang Souchong

Fantastic. I'm a big fan of the Lapsang Souchong. I bought both from QED.

I normally get Stash Teas. They're good loose teas, I avoid teabags if at all possible.

I like greens/whites/oolangs. Blacks I'm a little more hesitant to get get because I only like some. I have never liked Earl Grey (too strong a flavor) but some basic blacks I don't mind. I've got a container of Pu-Ehr tea... someone else I heard describe it as reminiscent of coffee and I'd have to agree, much darker and thicker than normal teas and it has a bolder flavor, much like coffee.

I'd like to get a tetsubin, however they are more than I'm currently willing to pay for a teapot right now. Not to mention that the truth is I need to invest in a new kettle right now. My previous one was cheap and impossible to clean. I'd like to get either the Staub cast-iron kettle or a Le Creuset enamel-on-steel kettle, but both are also expensive.

Speaking of which... I need to order some new tea...

I'm actually a bit surprised that there are so many tea drinkers here.

I have heard of some of these teas mentioned, some I have not.

I like both Twinnings' Earl Grey and Green.

I am not a tea expect, but I've tried a few, and like a good cup. The best I've ever had, I think, was some Jasmine I bought in China. Rolled up in little balls that were really fun to watch open up into whole leaves when the hot water went in. Recently though, I've been hugely enjoying a tin of lychee black tea I bought at an asian market in Ithaca. Don't remember the name. Red and black square metal tin with a little gold. About 3.5 inches. Loose whole leaf. Really really surprisingly good stuff. Fantastic, actually. Especially since it was $4 for the 4oz tin.

-Mo

Has anyone seen the teas that are bundled up and "bloom" into flowers as they steep? Numi is the only company I know of that makes them... Would look really cool at a social event.

Such as:
proxy.php

No. But that's bloody cool. I mean, mid quality Jasmine tea often has little whole jasmine flowers, but I've never seen anything like that. Well, there was something in China somewhere - but they were still pretty small. One inch or so. At a restaurant, so I do not have any idea of where it came from.

-Mo

Mike02 said:
Any recommendations on pots, anyone? I am thinking cast iron, but thought I would ask first.

Dennis

As far as I know, cast iron is not the best - some teas might take taste from the iron. I say go for classic china or porcelain...

fuerein said:
Has anyone seen the teas that are bundled up and "bloom" into flowers as they steep? Numi is the only company I know of that makes them... Would look really cool at a social event.

Such as:
proxy.php

We have some of that tea. When I bought it, it was called "display tea". Kinda fun to watch.

Alton Brown did an awesome show on tea once (I have it on tape somewhere...). As far as pots, he did recommend the cast iron, because they held heat well (cast iron, porcelain-lined shaving mug anyone?), especially if you pre-heated the pot with water from your kettle, emptied, and then refilled with your brew.

Moving forward, a thermal-insulated stainless steel teapot would be great, if such a thing exists. I know that they do this for coffee pots nowadays.

Chagidiel said:
As far as I know, cast iron is not the best - some teas might take taste from the iron. I say go for classic china or porcelain...

Most cast iron teapots (AKA tetsubin) are enameled on the interior to prevent the iron from getting into the tea. They are normally considered wonderful for tea because if you preheat them (pour hot water in and let sit for a sec and then dump it out) the cast iron retains the heat very well and will keep the tea warm for longer.

So the tetsubins are nice pots then? I am looking at the Special Teas website but they are not listing their cast iron pots as specifically tetsubin-type of pots. I will have to shoot them a note I guess...

fuerein said:
Most cast iron teapots (AKA tetsubin) are enameled on the interior to prevent the iron from getting into the tea. They are normally considered wonderful for tea because if you preheat them (pour hot water in and let sit for a sec and then dump it out) the cast iron retains the heat very well and will keep the tea warm for longer.

I have a tetsubin - I like the looks and it does keep the tea hot for a long time. My favourite pot is a contemprary stainless steel pot with double walls - you heat the pot the same way as you would any other, but the airspace between the walls acts as an insulater and keeps the tea hotter than my tetsubin. Also, I only paid something like $25 for a pot that makes three large mugs of tea.

The other thing to look for is a pot that comes with a basket that allows you to steep loose leaf tea in the pot and then pull it out to prevent the tea from becoming bitter. Better yet, find one with a handle so you can lift it out without burning yourself or making a mess!

Mike02 said:
So the tetsubins are nice pots then? I am looking at the Special Teas website but they are not listing their cast iron pots as specifically tetsubin-type of pots. I will have to shoot them a note I guess...

Their cast-iron teapots would be labeled as tetsubin on other sites... aside from maybe the Biku style they have. I've never seen a tetsubin like the Biku, but may still technically be a tetsubin. Tetsubin are cast iron teapots made in Japan (at least according to definition). I've never really seen a cast-iron teapot outside those made in Japan (seems to be a Japanese thing). I know the Chinese tend to make teapots more often from earthenware.

Mike02 said:
Any recommendations on pots, anyone? I am thinking cast iron, but thought I would ask first.

Dennis

I have small hand painted Chatsford Clipper. Brews 2 to 3 cups. Nice little pot really. I saw a gorgeous Villeroy et Boch: cream coloured kind of flowery-Jugendstil design with an iron lid. They have matching cups :001_wub:

Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried Mate (pronounced like sake)? It's from Argentina, Bolivia, etc... and is traditionally brewed in a hollowed-out gourd with a drinking straw called a bombillo. I had some on a trip to Argentina and found it really good, had a lesson on how to make it, bought the stuff to make it, and realized I stink at brewing it once back in the US. It isn't technically tea, it is similar to rooibos (red tea) in that it is primarily from a bush local to the area.

If I drink any tea, it has to be Lapsang Souchong. About once a month.

Earl Grey is foul! Like drinking aftershave.

It's coffee for me.

Gareth

Top Bottom