What's new

Tabc Original Cream disappointment

I'm fairly new to traditional wetshaving (since August), and since I live in Germany I have been on the look out for the ever popular Tabac products.

Now I think I tend to prefer soaps and strangely enough I haven't found it near my home (guess I need to extend my search), any way, yesterday I was browsing the shaving shelves at my local Rossman and saw that the Tabac Original Cream was on offer, so said OK lets give it a try.

This morning I soaked my badger brush while I shower, then added a small dab of cream on my usual shaving bowl and tried to get the lather... no fluffy goodness... I added a bit more... no luck... maybe some water... Nope... How about A LOT MORE??? Close but no cigar. Less water? More swirls?... no and no, flat as an English pancake.

I usually get a descent lather with my 0,80€ Palmolive Cream and the same setup/routine, so why not now?

I did manage to shave well enough and was more than pleased with the smell, but really missed the fluffy lather I get with my soaps.

I Cold Water Shave BTW, but it has not been a problem before.

Can any one offer some guidance? Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
I can't guess. I've never used a bowl with it, nor with Palmolove. I used it my "usual" shave cream way, a daub on a couple of fingers rubbed into my well-wetted & washed beard, then stirred around on my face with a brush, and it's soon ready. My only complaint is that when you don't use it up rapidly enough, it starts separating out.

While tabac cream is not that great, you shouldn't have any problem getting a lather.
Something is wrong with your cream.

I'm in the minority, it's my favorite cream and leaves my face soft & smooth, and strictly face lather with cold water. The lather from Tabac cream doesn't fluff like most others, it will remain dense with the consistency closer to yogurt, probably due to the oils. I like is very wet, it absorbs plenty of water, and find it's one of the better ones at softening my whiskers, I'll let it sit an extra 60-90 seconds after my application.

I'm in the minority, it's my favorite cream and leaves my face soft & smooth, and strictly face lather with cold water. The lather from Tabac cream doesn't fluff like most others, it will remain dense with the consistency closer to yogurt, probably due to the oils. I like is very wet, it absorbs plenty of water, and find it's one of the better ones at softening my whiskers, I'll let it sit an extra 60-90 seconds after my application.
Yesterday I didn't find the receipt so I didn't return it. This morning I paired it up with the Palmolive Cream I have and it was good, not watery as yesterday, and it added the nice sent that the Palmolive lacks.

Today I found the ticket in my pocket, but I think I will try face lathering before returning it since you are the second member to use it like this.

Thanks for the feedback-

Its been a while since I used Tabac cream, but I believe I needed to use more cream than I was used to compared to my other creams like Proraso. If you haven't tried "more product" it might be worth a shot.

Thanks, I did added more product... but no luck :bored:

I have tried the face lathering as well, didn't work :bored:

I believe my cream has gone bad, so it's back to Rossman tomorrow to see if I can get a refund and a good one...

On the bright side, I did found the soap yesterday near home, but I guess that is a matter for another tread :laugh:

I'm have about 1 maybe 2 shaves left with my Tabac cream. Out of all the shave soaps/creams it does make the thinnest cream. Even when I used more I still didn't get a thick heavy cream. But what I did realize that I was consistantly getting great shaves with it. As mftoms59 mentioned it's probably the best at softening my wiskers and provides me with an excellent post shave feel. I also find it to be the slickest out of all my creams/soaps. It's a go to if I haven't shaved in a while.

I'll probably re-order some more Tabac soon. But I'm debating between another purchase of the cream or the soap to compare it to.

Also have a tube of the Irisch Moos on deck. I've read that it is the same formula as Tabac. So I guess I should expect the same performance. Just a differen't scent.

I shaved with the Tabac soap today. It was phenomenal! Rich thick lather, brilliant sent, slick as slick could be... I would say BBS everywhere except on parts of my neck, where it haven't been able to figure out the correct angle.

Over the weekend I got ma some Arko soap and cream, so I will be trying those next week.

Tabac cream has a tendency to separate if it sits for a while. Look inside the mouth of the tube, and you would see a creamy white portion and a golden, oily solution. If when you squeezed out your first dollop you only got one of these, then that would explain the lack of lather. Just squeeze the tube back and forth a little to mix the two components back together, and all should be well.

I love Tabac in cold weather. I usually SuperLather the soap and cream together, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the cream.

Scent-wise, nothing works better with Tabac except more Tabac. If you intend to keep using it, go ahead and get the rest of the products in the range. The soap, the Aftershave, the bath soap, the shampoo, deodorant (stick or spray,) etc. That way, you can indulge yourself in the whole Tabac Experience. Its like the individual instruments in a symphony orchestra. One at a time, they sound OK, but put them all together and they make beautiful music.

Mine was in storage for a long time (better -and cheaper- creams around).
I simply let the 'oil' drained off. Lather just as easy...

I have already returned the cream... Saw these comments a bit late. Next time I will not be so quick to return, but at the moment I will keep to the software I have.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions :thumbup1:

Tabac cream has a tendency to separate if it sits for a while. Look inside the mouth of the tube, and you would see a creamy white portion and a golden, oily solution. If when you squeezed out your first dollop you only got one of these, then that would explain the lack of lather. Just squeeze the tube back and forth a little to mix the two components back together, and all should be well.

I love Tabac in cold weather. I usually SuperLather the soap and cream together, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the cream.

Scent-wise, nothing works better with Tabac except more Tabac. If you intend to keep using it, go ahead and get the rest of the products in the range. The soap, the Aftershave, the bath soap, the shampoo, deodorant (stick or spray,) etc. That way, you can indulge yourself in the whole Tabac Experience. Its like the individual instruments in a symphony orchestra. One at a time, they sound OK, but put them all together and they make beautiful music.

I will take into consideration your suggestion, I do like the scent of it, and most probably get the rest of the Tabac products.

I've never tried Tabac cream, but the soap works fine for me.

I'm surprised you cannot find soaps locally ... don't you have a Müller or DM close to you?

I did find it but in Galeria Kaufhof, probably more expensive than in the drogerie. The local DMs don't carry the soap, just cream, AS and lotion. I have look in several of them :S.

Müller is not so popular in the area, but a quick search gave me the location of one not so far away, When I run out I will check there to see if it's less expensive.

Thanks for the tip

Can't remember if Müller carries the soap (but I think they do) ... it's been weeks since I was in a Müller last time.

(most of my family lives very close to Nordhorn)

Top Bottom