What's new

What do you guys think of me going back to cartridge shaving full time?

Do what you gotta do my friend.

I think the brush and soap/cream are the most important parts anyways.

I have to agree with this. My Sensor shaves just great when I use a good brush and soap. The price of cartridges keeps me coming back to the DE and SE.

I think the Sensor was the beginning of the end, so I would suggest pre-Sensor cartridges. Preferably a system with no pivoting head. More sturdy and much more DE-like.

But even the early cartridges (like the Wilkinson T70) require more pressure than a DE razor.

Use what's working best for you. The TracII is a great shaving system. I've got a '73 Trac II deluxe set that I bought NOS.

I went back to cartridges after about the same amount of time that you've been at it (based off your registration date), but eventually jumped back on the DE bandwagon.

In my experience, cartridges provide a fine shave but can only do so much before they start to cause damage. A DE requires technique that improves with time. Your shaves will continue to get better and faster - eventually surpassing the cartridges in both areas.

If this were the 19th century British Army you'd have the epaulets ripped from your shoulders and your sword snapped over the color sergeant's knee as you were drummed out of the encampment.

BUT, alas, this isn't, so, do whatever suits you and your beard.

-Greg

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We all want you to have the most comfortable shaves. If that means using a cartridge then go for it! Just don't leave us!! Plenty here to offer still!

I also like that you are keeping an assortment of DE blades and a DE razor. Ya never know when you might want to use them again.

Use what's working best for you. The TracII is a great shaving system. I've got a '73 Trac II deluxe set that I bought NOS.

The Deluxe looks great indeed, and also shows that the Trac II wasn't a cheap system when it was introduced. Gillette saw it as a way to leap frog the competition (Wilkinson) of course, but also as a real technical innovation.

Edit:again, try to find vintage Wilkinson (Twin) or Gillette (Trac II or GII) cartridges.

Last edited:
If you apply to good techniques you learned with your DE you should get fine shaves with your cart system. As most people noted on here, it's just about what works best for you.

never! i enjoy wet shaving with a straight razor.i need only care for my blade and occassionally hone and i will never need to buy another,unless one catches my eye.but that is out of want not need. i could not go back to a cartridge razor regularly any more than i could go back to using "store-bought" flies. i enjoy tying my own flies and fishing with them.i get a similar satisfaction from wet shaving with my great grandfathers bokers and other straight razors he owned.

I've heard the old Atras are well built and sturdy as well—all metal. Peace.

The weak link is the pivoting head. Otherwise the aluminium handles are decent, but not as substantial as the Trac.

Strangely enough, each handle after the Trac got worse. As if Gillette had decided that it was too good?

Top Bottom