What's new

i dont see much talk about dovo and other higher end razors

Ditto.
You'll see a lot of talk about Dovo (much of it not totally positive), TI, Wacker, LeGrelot....
A number of our members are highly respected custom knife and/or razor makers.

No, there's not generally a lot of talk about Maestro Livi's work, but I have a feeling there are not a lot of Livi owners on the other forum either.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
welcome to B&B.
Dovo's are talked about here. My first razor was a Dovo 5/8 best half hollow. It is OK but I don't desire to buy another.
are you new to straight shaving?

I used to talk about my Bismark until I sold it :sad: Now all I do is miss it :crying:

proxy.php

My Dovo Renaissance is my most expensive razor, I can't say it is the best though.
I have not tried the Carbon steel Dovo, and the Renaissance is my only stainless steel, so it is hard to compare. All I know is that it is hard to get a good shave out of it.
I have occosianly given up and finished with my Thiers Issard. Even unstropped, it seems to work better than Dovo.

Anyway, the fact Dovo is still around when most razor maker died, does not mean they were the best. Just that they make enough money on scissors and other cutlery that they can keep afloat an unprofitable, niche business. The same applies to Thiers Issard actually.

We don't sell razors.

This was exactly what I thought upon reading that post. SRP discourages talk about stuff their storefront doesn't sell and encourages talk about stuff they do. I know DOZENS of people who were banned there for promoting using coticules over Norton 4000/8000 stones back when their store didn't sell coticules. Then when they started selling coticules, suddenly coticules were great and everyone should talk about them as much as they pleased. Maybe five? years ago when I was a member there, if you ever recommended ANYTHING other than a norton 4/8k stone to a beginner, the forum admins would attack you pretty viciously, and then if you asked them if they thought this was how forum staff ought to act, they banned you.

I got banned there for correcting an admin who claimed that DMT diamond plates would cause chips in razors (So buy a Norton!). He actually openly made that claim. I told him I'd sharpened HUNDREDS of razors on DMT's, never saw this issue. Woke up the next day and I was banned.

Also, the vast, vast majority of this sites members are DE and SE users. Our Straight community is a relatively small part of B&B, so there's bound to be a lot less talk about almost everything straight-related. (With the exception perhaps of Jnats, we have some hardcore Jnatters here.) The flip side is that most of the activity in the straight section is from older members. There are new straight users too, but the guys with hundreds of posts a month are mostly guys who've been shaving, or honing, or making strops, or taking 800x pictures of razor edges for years. Quality, not quantity if you will. So while I remember on SRP most of the straight razor threads being a bunch of guys with three razors going on about how Filarmonica's are the best, or the following week how Wade & Butchers are the best, or the following week how Dubl Ducks are the best; you get that a lot less here. Generally guys who've used a few hundred different razors might have "favorites", but we don't have "bests". The guys who've used hundreds of razors and tell you W&B's are the best... are the same guys listing their collection of W&B's on eBay that month... coincidentally, I'm sure.

As for Dovo's. Never owned a recent one myself. Possibly a few used ones passed through my hands. Hard to remember. Basically the higher end ones get too close to the lower end price-range of quality custom razors, so it's just not a product I'm interested in at its price. I'd rather spend those few hundred dollars on something like my Dual-bladed razor (the same as the one in the razor guide... only heard of about a half dozen others in existence, though there are surely more, still very rare), or my NOS, worked spine, carved MOP scales vintage D Peres... or the matching worked back 7 day D Peres set (plain scales though sadly), or my 2 day set of carved/pinned ivory Wostenholms... the list goes on.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Fellas - let's let them live their lives and we'll live ours.
Talk about whatever razor you want, but it's not productive to talk about another forums habits.
Let's talk about what we do.

this wonderful site isn't a shill site for overpriced "starter sets" and you don't see rank beginners *(sp?!!) aimed at a 200$++++ "starter set" and charged 20$ for a halfbutted honing attempt.......

instead they are welcomed open armed and generally aimed at a 50$ complete starter set and offered free honing and helpful advice....

just saying...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To the OP - "High End" is in the eye of the beholder. Dovo is favored by some and some would disagree that Dovo, in its current iteration should be considered high end.
Unless you are judging high end purely by cost.
You'll find most folks here talking about quality equipment that effectively does the job, regardless of what the manufacturer believes to be the appropriate MSRP.
Elite and Elitist are two different things, and I don't know that I believe either term is accurate to describe other people. That's a personal opinion.

What you'll find here is people who are willing to discuss razors that work.

My personal opinion is that there are few examples of straights produced today that meet the style, quality and workmanship standards of vintage Sheffield, Eskilstuna or Solingen steel.
You're free to believe what you will.

Yes I was banned from there because they thought I was trying to sell something and told Gugi to get off his high horse.I was trying to help another member by sending him a pm. But I'm new to this and do my own honing and everything. I have a Ralf Aust razor which I have enjoyed so far. It wasn't because of SRP I decided to get one it was a new comer to the table that has decided to go out on his own. I have been shaving with bad tomahawk razor that I honed. When I went to a real razor it was a difference between night and day.

I don't know what end my razors fall into. Most of them have been hyped. My favorites (Cattaraugus, Tosuke, Henkotsu) are all a bit imperfect, and the one(s) that I've heard described with superlatives most often (Iwasaki, Heljestrand) are not my favorites, though I thought they would be.

With a few exceptions, I almost never hear about "junk" or "mediocre" razors. Almost everything seems to be called a good/great shaver, and everything is appended with YMMV. I think those phenomena are present in all corners of the shaving community.

Top Bottom