What's new

What products do you tend to hoard?

Looking at all the stuff I'm really liking, and fighting the urge to buy 1000 of each, got me thinking, is there a product in particular that you tend to hoard, and what's the thinking behind it? Prepper mindset? Looming end of production? You just like it so much you wanna have enough to last you a lifetime?

For me I'd say it's the cheapest best soap I could find, because if I run out of every fancy artisan one I have, I'll still have tons of that. And no one will steal it from me because it stinks. Plus it has a great post-apocalyptic vibe. I'm talking about Arko, obviously :)

And yeah, I got a few 100 packs of my favorite blades, but that's just because they're cheap for now. I find it comforting to have a nice stash of the good stuff while I explore the rest in smaller samples, like a normal person.

Soaps and creams, fearful that I will not be able to try it if I don't buy it now or that I won't be able to get a great product in the future. Already, Cade has been changed, AOS tallow is no longer made, and Top Secret cream seems to be out of production. I have stopped buying software, though, as I know there will always be a quality soap or cream available when I run out of the current (HUGE!) stash.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Come the new world order when all shaving products will be for the most powerful only, I am hoarding matching seven-day sets of SR's and Arko. I'm now almost right for M7DS's but still need more Arko as I only have a 8 year supply.

That reminds me. I will order another couple of dozen Arko sticks next week.

The question asked the answer immediately to my mind. Not that which I thought it might be, but certainty incarnate:
The cardboard boxes things come in! Mightily they bulge in the closet, storeroom, and garage. Do I ever throw them away? Oh, hell no! What would I have to repackage *insert - anything - here*? When I have to send it back for warranty or repair? What about when I sell it to someone else and I want them to know how carefully I've taken care of ...that item I bought 10 years ago and used every day?

So, yes, I hoard manufacturers' packaging and it's starting to make me very nervous. I mean just think of it, cardboard burns very easily, what if there was a fire? (What would I pack the remains of all those things in after digging them out of the wreckage?)

Badger brushes. The way that some people are carrying on around here, the humble badger will soon be added to the CITES list. I need to ensure that my hires and I are equipped with a lifetime supply of brushes while I still can. If I had the foresight I would have stocked up on tortoise shell Heljestrands but regrettably it’s too late for that now. Hopefully in a few hundred years stocks will have recovered.

Last edited:
I am a hoardaholic, it is disgraceful. Though I try my best to dishoard and go through "cleansings" from time to time. I am getting to that point again.

As for products when they get low... I use it less frequently to keep it longer. I am really foolish that way. I have a soap/cream spoon that I've been using for a number of years and like to dial in a precise amount that I use for each shave. I've gone to the point of weighing product on the spoon and averaging it out over 5 days to know exactly how long the product will last, knowing the average amount I use per shave. If I feel in a generous mood I take a little more... but I like the challenge of dialling in a precise amount with only minimal wastage.

Right now I have maybe a few weeks left of T&H Sandalwood balm... it's soft scented balm that matches lots of soaps, oh it's 3 pumps if I'm stingy or 4 if generous. And then there's the T&H 1805 and Sandalwood creams. I was gifted them by my wife for my birthday. And they are 80% gone. I only use them once in a while now.

So I figure to cure myself, I need to buy more... how insane is that? Thinking I can cure myself by buying more product! As I like to try new things and compare, so I buy samples as often as could and to justify it I combine it with a burning passion to share the truth about how razors and products really perform, because I've been misled by youtubers. So I start a youtube channel and combined all these issues into a passion that I hope assists others. At least that what I keep telling myself.

Anyway I figure that unless I dishoard, when I die there will probably be something left of each product I have. Confessing this makes me realise a lot. I didn't have much money for most of my life so the hoarder in me might never leave but I am going to keep fighting it and dishoard in the future, I am resolved.

Oh... and if I really like a product, I'll have to order it before I finish what I currently have or I will never use it again.

P.S. I like to collect... and have an example of 1 of each kind. I did sell my coin collection to pay for my wedding, took me years and lots of time painstaking collecting only to sell it for an amount that could never be it's value to me. I've got a garage full of stuff packed to the ceiling. I found a couple of SRs going through it recently. I think I have over 50 samples of creams and soaps now. It's cheaper to satisfy the itch.

P.P.S. I just counted my soap samples.... lol, I said 50, .. not even close. I have stop buying for a good while, they're like my treasures.... it really brings me enjoyment to try new things and keep them. It's terrible and I am organising the "den" like a shrine in the bathroom now combining it all into one thing to justify it all.

Reading my post, I could have just left it at one word...

Everything.

Last edited:
I have most of the ADs (admittedly not as bad as in earlier times): brushes, blades, soaps and AS!

Still, ‘traditional’ wet shaving is a bargain compared to every other hobby I have had over the years! :a29: :a29:

Still, ‘traditional’ wet shaving is a bargain compared to every other hobby I have had over the years! :a29: :a29:

Yep, that’s my main defense whenever my girlfriend looks at me weird.

“Hey at least it’s not Omega watches! Remember those?!” It usually ends the discussion hahaha

Really none. I have a number of razors and was discussing with my wife my desire to choose 4 to have re-plated etc. into "new" condition, financed by a sell-off of the rest. I have 2 tubes of cream and 2 pucks of soap but find myself doing more and more of a dual WTG pass after a hot shower using nothing on my face at all (COVID means I don't get out much and just need an SAS). I do buy blades by the 100 though and occasionally will buy a tuck of 5 when I come across them for a few bucks. Right now I have maybe 150 blades total.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have a growing collection of SR’s that are in rotation. Many were purchased cheap just to practice honing and restoring. As it turns out, many were salvageable, so I have more than I intended. We are not talking showpieces, just some often quirky useable razors that have been given a second life.

Top Bottom