What's new

Most Luxurious Synthetics?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’m a die hard badger fan. I gave synthetics a good run a while back. I tried the Plisson synthetic when it was all the rage. The Edwin Jagger and Muhle synthetic fibers that came out around that time as well. RazoRock Plissoft offerings, of which I still have a clear handled offering that was meant to be extra soft although I forgot the branding. The other one that I’ve kept around is a Wolf Whiskers with a 1st Gen Ubersoft knot which has been my favorite one to date.

Again, I am a badger fan. I wasn’t all that impressed with how synthetics fail to retain heat or hold water. Noticed this again tonight in my first lather as water that was warm when I wet the brush dripped from the base of the knot onto my chest and felt completely cold already. That said, there’s potential in synthetics and mine are a few years behind so I am curious. One thing is for sure: these fibers are very soft and comfortable for the skin.

So I’m curious about some newer brushes, particularly if they have slightly larger and more luxurious feeling knots. What is your most luxurious synthetic? Have they gotten any better at keeping water in the knot instead of dropping it all over? Anything I should try? The current options on my mind are the Omega Evo and Chubby Synthetic offerings, what else should I consider?

Edwin Jagger XL is a big, soft, plush luxurious brush. I truly love the knot. As close to silvertip as I've found in synthetics.

Reactions: nav

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It'd have to be the Chubby 2. I'd also consider emailing Mr Watterson at Simpsons about having an M7 made with synthetic bristle. It is the best synthetic brush I've ever used. The longer handle provides a better fulcrum, which causes the brush to open up with what feels like less effort.

The West Coast Shaving Two-Tone Boss knot synthetic is the softest synthetic I've ever tried, it's like a huge makeup brush. It's a bit large though and messy to face-lather with. Synths don't hold onto heat but the good ones trap water very well. They make the best lather-making machines for me and all I use these days. Badgers are quite nice at retaining heat but that's about it, unless of course you like some scritch and prickle too.

I am a huge badger fan as well and my favorite synthetic brush is Mühle STF. I prefer the XL size (25 mm) and, unfortunately, that is no longer offered by Mühle.

I think the Edwin Jagger brushes also have the same Mühle STF knots. But an EJ owner would have to speak to that.

I would like to try Simpsons Trafalgar synthetics. I haven't gotten around to snagging one of those yet.

Reactions: nav
There is a knot referred to as the 'soft tuxedo' that is extremely plush and dense, holds a ton of water and makes really nice lather but takes some getting used to so you don't over-hydrate the lather. I have really enjoyed using one of these, and like yourself, I am a big badger fan.

AP Shave Co has an assortment of knots and decently priced. The super plush ones cost more and I can only imagine the soft soft of em. I have three of his but they are of a more pedestrian/economical verity. The one I like the most is not even the softest of the three. It’s the least. I enjoy the spring and bit of grit it has.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I regularly use all of the following synthetic brushes.

The Muhle STF knot is used by Muhle (of course), EJ, @Rudy Vey and probably others. It is an excellent synthetic knot.

The Omega EVO is similar and provides a larger knot size, if that is what you prefer. Again, an excellent synthetic knot.

The Full Moon knot (available through Turn-N-Shave) is used by @Graydog with great results. I'm not sure which commercial brush makers are using the Full Moon.

The Simpson Chubby synthetic knot feels different that the STF or EVO but produces similar results.

These are all top tier synthetic knots that, in the hands of a brush making virtuoso, position synthetic brushes as a complementary and very viable alternative to natural brushes.

YMMV

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The West Coast Shaving Two-Tone Boss knot synthetic is the softest synthetic I've ever tried, it's like a huge makeup brush. It's a bit large though and messy to face-lather with. Synths don't hold onto heat but the good ones trap water very well. They make the best lather-making machines for me and all I use these days. Badgers are quite nice at retaining heat but that's about it, unless of course you like some scritch and prickle too.

I have more than enough be badger that feels just as soft at the tips as a synthetic. Absolutely no scritch or prickle, not even a hint. They are not cheap brushes, however, but I would actually consider my current Paladin my softest brush, synthetics included.

I have more than enough be badger that feels just as soft at the tips as a synthetic. Absolutely no scritch or prickle, not even a hint. They are not cheap brushes, however, but I would actually consider my current Paladin my softest brush, synthetics included.

Sounds like badgers tick all your boxes, not sure why you're even looking for a synthetic. I find it hard to believe anything's softer than a Boss knot though, that thing is a cream puff.

For me, the most luxurious synthetic is a motherlode knot. No backbone, floppy but very soft and silk-like on the face.

As for heat and water retention, I don't pay attention because I do cold water shaves and bowl lather. Not much I can offer you regarding those.

Luxury synthetics?

1594032482104.png

The Chubby 1 is taking on the colour of Haslinger Honey. Dunno why. :letterk1:

I have an AP Shave Co with 30mm Synbad knot, and it is probably my most luxurious feeling brush. It is by far the softest brush I have ever felt. It is pretty floppy, but the density makes it tolerable.

since I really haven't bought any brushes in more than a year (i only use synthetics now). This past week I ordered:

Simpsons T3
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic
Omega Evo Ceramic White
Shavemac Custom Synthetic 26mm (bulb knot)
4 diff Yaqi brushes with Tuxedo Knot (those are the only ones that already got here). 3 are bulb 26mm and one is fan 26mm. This was safe since it was the cheapest and the tuxedo knot is my favorite knot in other brands.

After I receive them (some might take a while, since coming from europe, spain etc) and use them each for a while, i will make a comparisson and pick my favorites.

Did I miss any other "top" synthetic? I want to buy most of the current top ones. I like 26mm or larger, thus you wont see any 24mms in my purchases. I already have all the Plisson style ones but those are too floopy for me.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
since I really haven't bought any brushes in more than a year (i only use synthetics now). This past week I ordered:

Simpsons T3
Omega Evo Ceramic White
4 diff Yaqi brushes with Tuxedo Knot (those are the only ones that already got here). 3 are bulb 26mm and one is fan 26mm. This was safe since it was the cheapest and the tuxedo knot is my favorite knot in other brands.

After I receive them (some might take a while, since coming from europe, spain etc) and use them each for a while, i will make a comparisson and pick my favorites.

Did I miss any other "top" synthetic? I want to buy most of the current top ones. I like 26mm or larger, thus you wont see any 24mms in my purchases. I already have all the Plisson style ones but those are too floopy for me.

I’m definitely interested in your opinion!

Simpsons T3
Omega Evo Ceramic White

Where did you find a retailer that has Omega Eco brushes?

Turn N Shave? The full moon, silversynth, and quarter moon get rave reviews. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll find another top one you must get if you continue to hang out on shaving forums.

Thanks for that recommendation, will look into the full moon and quarter moon. I think the Omega ECO is the silversynth right? At least i think i recall seeing that on the website.

Top Bottom